Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
4,920 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My buddy got a quad and went riding last week and asked if I wanted to go. He knows I have this old steed tucked away. I pulled her out and pressure washed her put in fresh 42:1 MC1 and towed her down the street for the first fire up. Fired right up and was pulliing the wheel with big bore ease. I have to be care full for almost pushing 50 on this thing. Just some nice trail riding for me. I redid her in about 2001.
1984 KX500

You can hear her run by clicking on pic below

·
Registered
598 Posts
I use to own a KDX 450 back in 1982. I loved the thing but everyone I rode with HATED IT! They said riding behind it was brutal! Supposedly it tossed rocks at them the size of a softball like a water hose spaying off the back tire. I can't say since I was never behind it myself. I told them there was an easy fix for the problem---------> Ride faster and pass me! Yea that didn't happen either.. The only thing about that bike I hated was in the winter time which is when we seemed to always ride in the woods due to the heat in the summer and passing out from all the gear etc.. Anyway if it didn't start by the 3rd kick your foot would be screwed up the rest of the day even with motocross boots that had steel in the bottoms wouldn't save your poor foot.. Once it warmed up it was not an issue but that first cold crank had the potential to be a KILLER!

·
Registered
639 Posts
that's cool as heck..
and yes riding behind big bores is not fun..

·
Registered
28,611 Posts
These meathead kids today will never know what it's like to ride on of these monsters. The feeling of your arms being pulled out of your body on one of the monsters is awesome.

·
Registered
598 Posts
These meathead kids today will never know what it's like to ride on of these monsters. The feeling of your arms being pulled out of your body on one of the monsters is awesome.
Kids today will never know a lot of things! They will all be protected by the government whether they like it or not.

·
Banned
3,941 Posts
I loved trail riding & racing the occasional hare scrambles (open class) when I was a teenager.
Had a 400 CZ, 400 & 501 Maico & a Suzi tm 400. My favorite was the tm 400. It was a ill handling, unpredictable rocket & I loved it.

·
Registered
632 Posts
Had a new 86 kx 500 right out if highschool .. Ride wheelies for days

·
Registered
288 Posts
I had a YZ490 for awhile just got rid of it 2 years ago was a blast to ride tons of torque and power. Stopped like a freight train took off with a arm stretching pull.
The first time I rode tis I thought the guys who race these are nuts or damn good or both

·
Registered
4,920 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
That is the last air cooled 500 model they maded. I bought it for that reason. I wanted simple no rad waterpump hose BS. What's nice is that back fender is so strong it doubles as a wheelie bar. I did try it out once. Stood str8 up tossed me off but bike did not come totally back on me but I still tore large patch of my ass off.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Nothing like the sound(& power)of a big 2 stroke!! When I was a kid I had a 1982 rm80 & my dad had an 82 rm465. That damn 465 was a beast!!! I can remember him beating the yz490's

·
Registered
15,353 Posts
I loved trail riding & racing the occasional hare scrambles (open class) when I was a teenager.
Had a 400 CZ, 400 & 501 Maico & a Suzi tm 400. My favorite was the tm 400. It was a ill handling, unpredictable rocket & I loved it.
Same here, when I was 18 I had a TM400 of course being familiar with engine modification and 18yrs old, the first thing I did was pull the engine apart and port it similar to the 125 I had and increase the compression by about 3 points. When I was done it had a power band similar to a 125 it was an absolute nightmare on smaller courses but on any big stretch there was not a thing could keep up with it. My friend had and RD350 and with the front end tied down it would run side by side with it up to about 60mph.

As said after a couple of laps at Budds Creek or Big Berm your forearms would be absolutely useless for a week.

·
Registered
3,689 Posts
Those TM's had to be the loudest 2 strokes that I have ever heard
gotta love those old zooks

·
Registered
66 Posts
I am in the middle of restoring a 1973 Yamaha 360 mx. I will post some pictures up when I get a chance. Doing this one for me to keep.

·
Registered
38,923 Posts
I've had everything from Yamaha 80 enduro bikes to modified Hayabusas to VMaxs to Harley dressers - and none compare to the fun I had on my '72 Ossa Pioneer 250, just like this one, back in the day. Diesel-like low end torque, lightweight (220 pounds), a go-anywhere bike that you never got tired of riding.

·
Registered
639 Posts
Very cool thanks thread

·
Registered
598 Posts
There is NOTHING like big bore 2 stroke power. I'll never get rid of mine!

Friend of mine had one of these I'll vouch for it being the meanest of the mean! It would kill you if you failed to respect it for even a split second. Great fun to ride though! Three back surgeries have ended my dirt riding days but the most fun I've ever had in my life was back during the dirt bike days riding in the woods at insane speeds bouncing off trees..Probably why I required 3 back surgeries come to think of it.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts