Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thinking about upgrading my heads to a thicker deck. I love my 317's but just dnt trust the castings for the power the car is making now. I have a set of TFS 220's here but deck only measures .150'' thicker than the 317 heads. An increase in thickness but seems marginal vs the AFR advertised .750'' thick deck. The TFS head measures .540'' (sonic) deck thickness so the AFR if it measures as advertised would be over twice as thick as the factory deck. Have any of you measured the AFR deck? Sonic or close guess with caliper?

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have grinds that work well with the sq heads but Im not a fan of a big port on small CI. I race in 10,000' da at times and they would shoot me in the foot up there. Wish they had something similar in a smaller port.

·
Registered
997 Posts
I have a small bore AFR 230 at work I can sonic check the deck on a little later.

Side note my port in this head goes over 380cfm at .850 and over 300 at .450 with a 2.100 valve on a 3.910 bore fixture

·
Registered
3,489 Posts
I think the afr is a better casting quality imo. The tfs seem perty pourus from the ones I have seen

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have a small bore AFR 230 at work I can sonic check the deck on a little later.

Side note my port in this head goes over 380cfm at .850 and over 300 at .450 with a 2.100 valve on a 3.910 bore fixture
Yes I would appreciate that! My biggest concern is the thickness between cyls along the outside row or head bolts where they usually lift. That's amazing flow. My 317's are just a mild port at only 290 cfm at .550" right now. Stock 2" intake valve.

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I think the afr is a better casting quality imo. The tfs seem perty pourus from the ones I have seen
Seems that way to me too from the other afr castings I have seen but in a cpl pics I looked at the afr ls heads dnt look 3/4" thick along outside row.

·
Registered
3,489 Posts
I keep holding off hoping that they will. Lol

Alot of work to change a casting and mold but dang it seems like they about have to. I'm not buying a 4 bolt head

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thank you!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts