Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking to upgrade my heads. Any suggestions on a good set? I have a 408 nitrous motor; iron block, spraying 300-400 shot. It is hyd. roller, but thinking of going solid roller when I get the heads. I have a ported super victor intake now.thanks

·
Chupa Cabra
9,824 Posts
Almost sounds like you need something tailored to your application and not an out of the box off the shelf head.

Where are you currently turning this motor to RPM wise? What kind of power does it make and what kind of E.T./MPH has it put down?

If you plan on going solid roller, the cylinder heads flow curve needs to be tailored to that as does the spring/valve package and push rod passages. Most LS cylinder heads don't come equipped with large enough push rod passages to allow a proper diameter push rod to be utilized in a solid roller application. Even with an offset lifter and rocker arm.

In the end how you configure your heads and engine all comes down to the end goal, the budget and what you want out of the combo.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Almost sounds like you need something tailored to your application and not an out of the box off the shelf head.

Where are you currently turning this motor to RPM wise? What kind of power does it make and what kind of E.T./MPH has it put down?

If you plan on going solid roller, the cylinder heads flow curve needs to be tailored to that as does the spring/valve package and push rod passages. Most LS cylinder heads don't come equipped with large enough push rod passages to allow a proper diameter push rod to be utilized in a solid roller application. Even with an offset lifter and rocker arm.

In the end how you configure your heads and engine all comes down to the end goal, the budget and what you want out of the combo.
Shifting at 6900. 530 to the tires on motor, with the ported TEA 5.3 heads. best et is 5.65 @ 121mph....leaving on a 300 shot, this is with 1 3/4 header just bought 2" kooks...end goal I am wanting to run 5.40's.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
is solid roller worst all the money im going to spend...whats the hp gains..i think the new heads will help alot

·
Registered
871 Posts
Call Brian Tooley.

·
Chupa Cabra
9,824 Posts
You shouldn't need to spray 400 to run 5.40's unless the vehicle is overly heavy or it lacks NA HP. What is the race weight? Making more crank HP will allow you to spray less nitrous and will be easier on the motor over the long haul.

For 5.40's you don't need anything crazy, but a mild solid roller using a PAC 1238X spring set up at 1.780-1.800 will work well.

Keep the lift around .720-.740 and use a Morel Ultra Pro bushing 6130 .750" wheel lifter. The bushing lifter is better at higher spring pressures when a smaller wheel is utilized over needle bearing lifters.

I'd suggest Crower stainless shaft mount rockers and heavy wall(.140") 3/8" Manton 3 series push rods.

Crower makes a shaft system for the TFS heads and 3/8" push rods will fit in newer TFS castings.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have not got race weight in a while think its around 3300...how much hp different is there in solid roller? think I run 5.40 with good set of heads?

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
You shouldn't need to spray 400 to run 5.40's unless the vehicle is overly heavy or it lacks NA HP. What is the race weight? Making more crank HP will allow you to spray less nitrous and will be easier on the motor over the long haul.

For 5.40's you don't need anything crazy, but a mild solid roller using a PAC 1238X spring set up at 1.780-1.800 will work well.

Keep the lift around .720-.740 and use a Morel Ultra Pro bushing 6130 .750" wheel lifter. The bushing lifter is better at higher spring pressures when a smaller wheel is utilized over needle bearing lifters.

I'd suggest Crower stainless shaft mount rockers and heavy wall(.140") 3/8" Manton 3 series push rods.

Crower makes a shaft system for the TFS heads and 3/8" push rods will fit in newer TFS castings.
The Crower shaft rockers have a .1 offset on the intake pushrod button. They work very well with an off the shelf TEA TFS head and a 3/8 push rod. But you can NOT get any more offset for the intake rocker on this 75101 shaft rocker system. So if heavy porting on the intake runner is in your future, these will not work.

·
Registered
1,013 Posts

We still had to clearance the TFS255 head running this setup. Not much but it took some grinding.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
square or cathedral port head what is better.......

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
square or cathedral port head what is better.......
In here that's like asking if Chillie is better with beans, or without. Lol
If you go square port, that would be ls3 or ls7 style heads. You would have to change intake and valve train also. You should be able to reach your goals with a cathedral port. But I think the ls7 stuff has more potential. But with that you end up turning more rpm. I'm sure some of these guys will chime in with some good info. I've only run cathedral port heads.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
think im just going to get heads and wait on going solid roller

·
Registered
917 Posts

This is some good info. Seems to have gone down this road before....

·
Registered
79 Posts
I would do ls7 west cost heads with a 102 fast ported. With a 300 shot u would run 5.40 forsure. With the power u make now sounds like u have a good cam u could go bigger with the ls7 stuff. I port all of our intakes at my shop and do a lot of LS7 stuff if u have more ?

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
really want to stay with a single plane intake...

·
Registered
871 Posts
With your bore, some TFS 235's would do the trick.
Tooley can do some custom nitrous port work.

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
Run a TFS 245 with the opt NOS exh port and have Tooley blend the valve job and do the intake port match for you . Run a Kmotion k900 spring with +.050 locks /retainer kit from Comp and you can get .700" using stock lengt turned down LS3 or Ferrea hollow stem intake valves . As for rockers there are a few that'll work . Don't worry about bore specs with the TFS heads . You NEED cross section to feed cubes .Also a good intake is paramount !!!!!! Good luck

1 - 20 of 47 Posts