Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am building a .060 over 427 and using wiseco protru pistons with 22cc dome piston,my problem is the piston hits the head where the heart shape is in the combustion chamber oposite side of the spark plug...is this a common problem?When the head is sitting on the motor not bolted on with no head gasket and I roll the motor over it lifts the head around .200.I can either grind the combustion chamber or cut the piston in that area...which would be better?The reason I ask is because the short block is already together.But I would rather take it apart and cut the piston versus grinding on the chamber of the head and hurting the combustion chamber shape.

·
Registered
2,816 Posts
dont grind the head,see if you actually have enough material to be able to take that much off the piston before you start grinding.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's what I' thinking. Pain in my ass but better that cutting those pretty heads

·
Registered
934 Posts
well I can tell you I went ahead and clearanced the heads on mine. I had the same issue, but I only needed .050" total to clear and provide enough running clearance. It ended up being less than 1/2 a cc.

But if you've got to go close to .200", thats a lot more. Also I just had to remove the small triangle at the center of the heart(maye 3/8" at the widest edge).

·
Registered
2,816 Posts
grinding the chamber for clearance can cause turbulance and affect power,chambers are shaped they way they are for a reason...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts