Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
731 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a procharged small block chevy. Running about 18 lbs street / strip. I messed up the threads for the #1 plug a while back had a local machinery guy weld and retap the hole. After a really hard 150 miles I am in the same spot is this something the can be fixed so its reliable or is it best to replace the head?

·
Registered
882 Posts
Threaded insert and it will actually be better than new. Modular ford engines are notorious for this. Local parts store will have what you need. Most important part is drilling head correct size for tap that will be used.

·
Registered
2,260 Posts
Threaded insert and it will actually be better than new. Modular ford engines are notorious for this. Local parts store will have what you need. Most important part is drilling head correct size for tap that will be used.
Bingo. Thread insert with 4 locking lugs to tap in when insert is seated. Never back out. Better than a helicoil

·
Premium Member
731 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I will look into the thread inserts. I have to say I don't under the locking lugs though.

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
I believe he's referring to a keensert type insert that has 4 lugs that protrude out the top, you thread the insert in then tap the lugs in and they bite into the material so when your pulling the plug out the insert can't back out.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts