Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
www.ULTRA-CARBON.com
12,739 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just purchased an aluminum block 400 motor this week. Comes with the AFR 215 raised runner head. Since I don't see these heads on the AFR website, I am assuming these are an old casting? Maybe something that was a predecessor to the newer 227s? The engine is currently set up to run a 250+ shot of nitrous, but I would like to change cams and use it as a N/A combo. It managed 8.50s on a 250 shot at 2800 pounds.

The plan is to eventually get into the low 9s N/A, but I would be happy to be mid 9s N/A with a cam swap. Would this even be possible with these heads? Obviously going with newer heads or 12-18 degree heads would get me there, but what is the potential of these heads before I start changing pistons, intake and everything else associated with a top end upgrade?

The motor description from the ad: Rodeck Aluminum SBC, 401cid, J&E 14.6 to 1, Total seal rings, Cola 3.75” Crank, std. /std. Manley Super 70 Aluminum rods ARB 2000 bolts, O-ringed, AFR 215 raised runner, Jessel Shaft rockers, Manley Nextex, Brodix HV1 intake, Wilson 1 spacer, Barry Grant silver claw 1000cfm,Tilton Starter, B&M flexplate, MSD Dist., Wires, Crank Trigger, Stef’s oil pan for chassis car

The car: 3140 pounds with iron block SBC, me in it, fueled up and racing, TH350, 5400 Coan converter, 4.56 geared 9-inch, footbrake launches at 2200rpm

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
i had a set thta were ported heavily and rolled over to 21* in early 2001 or so that went 350int-245exh at 700 lift so they definetley move some air
that head is plenty enough to run DEEP in the nines on motor alone

·
CFH
2,875 Posts
FWIW, I remember reading an article about a heavily worked set of RR215's from Joe Sherman, flowing about the same as the new 235's. Im not positive but, I think the sheetmetal dual carb 14 to 1 406 they tested made over 700 with both heads?

·
Registered
7,489 Posts
they stopped making that head when the Eliminator series was introduced . and as stated Joe Sherman has made some good hp with those heads i,m sure a few others have as well .

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
a non raised runner standard intake port location head wont hold a candle to those;)

·
www.ULTRA-CARBON.com
12,739 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ok, sounds like these heads aren't as anemic and outdated as I thought. After running mid-10s with a set of new 210 AFR Eliminators on a similar sized engine, I figured a 215 older style head wasn't going to be much better. I'm glad it sounds like I am wrong in that assumption.

So, given the car and engine specs in my first post, what sort of roller cam should I be looking at getting to get the maximum effort out of this combo without changing anything else? I would appreciate a suggestion for both 1.5 and a 1.6 rockers as I am not sure which size Jesel shaft rockers are on the motor.

Thanks in advance, once again.

·
Registered
7,489 Posts
talk with Bullet Cams give them all the details you can , same when it comes to matching a convertor

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
PHR did a 392 build using those heads when they came out.670hp at over 7 grand.put it in a stock suspension 69 camaro with drag radials and a powerglide and it went bottom tens if i can recollect.was approx 12 yrs ago.

·
Registered
7,489 Posts
PHR did a 392 build using those heads when they came out.670hp at over 7 grand.put it in a stock suspension 69 camaro with drag radials and a powerglide and it went bottom tens if i can recollect.was approx 12 yrs ago.
i remember that write up i think i have it somewhere

·
www.ULTRA-CARBON.com
12,739 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)

I'd appreciate it if you could find the write-up for that Mikey. Otherwise, I'll try to look it up online and see what they did and what cam they used. 670hp should get me to a mid 9 pass in my car. My goal is 650hp so that I am at least solidly in the 9s and competitive in NPSA Hot Street. I don't expect this motor to win me any races outright, but to at least be within a few tenths of the competition would be nice. My torque converter is good. It was made for almost exactly what this combination will run if it makes 650hp.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I have these heads also. Seem to be a pretty good head. I'm trying them out on a 400ci procharger setup. I hope they are going to work out good on it when I get the tune better. For a 23 degree head they are nice I think but with new technology everything usually goes away for something new.

·
www.ULTRA-CARBON.com
12,739 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Those heads CAN be very good in the right hands,, Joe Sherman did some 400 cui motors with them making over 800 hp N/A

Sounds like its unanimous that Joe Sherman is the guy to talk to on these heads. Is he on YB? Or can someone please give me his contact info? Did a search and found his name plenty of times, but no contact info.

·
Registered
7,489 Posts
I'd appreciate it if you could find the write-up for that Mikey. Otherwise, I'll try to look it up online and see what they did and what cam they used. 670hp should get me to a mid 9 pass in my car. My goal is 650hp so that I am at least solidly in the 9s and competitive in NPSA Hot Street. I don't expect this motor to win me any races outright, but to at least be within a few tenths of the competition would be nice. My torque converter is good. It was made for almost exactly what this combination will run if it makes 650hp.
i,ll dig thru my collection and see if i still have that issue

1 - 17 of 17 Posts