Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I currently run a QA1 setup on my car and I thinking about switching over to an AFCO DA with the coil over setup. I have a 74 nova. Has anybody used this setup on there stock front end suspension car? Based on some of the recommendation on the website, it states that I would need to use a 7-8 inch spring with it and a 400 lbs spring which seems like alot. Just looking for feedback.

Thanks

·
Banned
71,969 Posts
Take a look at their BNC-valved shock.

·
Registered
5,534 Posts
I use a 3" stroke Afco BNC shock and per TRZ's recommendations, use a 10" spring. I have mine mounted as a true coil over instead of their upper spring pockets. I had to use a hydraulic press to compress the spring to install the upper spring cup.

aluminum headed bbc in a '79 Malibu, 325 #/in spring. Started out with a 375 and later dropped back to the 325's.

·
Registered
320 Posts
I sell and run a lot of the Afco's and most start with a 8" 375-400lb spring NA if your spraying it maybe 25-50lb more spring rate. If you run a 10" you will need to raise the top mount most likely.

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I use a 3" stroke Afco BNC shock and per TRZ's recommendations, use a 10" spring. I have mine mounted as a true coil over instead of their upper spring pockets. I had to use a hydraulic press to compress the spring to install the upper spring cup.

aluminum headed bbc in a '79 Malibu, 325 #/in spring. Started out with a 375 and later dropped back to the 325's.
Do you have any pictures you could share?

So when you say you have it mounted as a true coil over, are you using the top spring mount that comes with the coil over kit from afco? That is what I was planning on doing.

Since my car really doesn't wheel stand, picks the wheels up about 12 inches, do I really need the bnc shock?

What does the nose of your car weight? I am about 1600 lbs.

Thanks

·
Registered
5,534 Posts
Do you have any pictures you could share?

So when you say you have it mounted as a true coil over, are you using the top spring mount that comes with the coil over kit from afco? That is what I was planning on doing.

Since my car really doesn't wheel stand, picks the wheels up about 12 inches, do I really need the bnc shock?

What does the nose of your car weight? I am about 1600 lbs.

Thanks

1760 lbs on the nose.

The 10" spring on this shock was to keep some stored energy in the front end setup. Works pretty well, have 4 1/2 to 5" of extension travel.

Hard as hell to crank the spring platforms up for ride height corrections, just take the shocks out, clamp the lower bearing in the vice and make sure to keep the shock body lubed up with anti-seeze to keep from galling the threads.

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
If you already have the QA1 Coil-Over kit use the conical springs that they come with. I ended up using them instead of the 8" coil over springs. Keeps a lot more stored energy and travel. Also, when you use the stock mount Afco shocks with the coil-overs all of the weight of the car is sitting on the stud and shock hole in the frame, not the best idea in my opinion.

·
Registered
5,534 Posts
If you already have the QA1 Coil-Over kit use the conical springs that they come with. I ended up using them instead of the 8" coil over springs. Keeps a lot more stored energy and travel. Also, when you use the stock mount Afco shocks with the coil-overs all of the weight of the car is sitting on the stud and shock hole in the frame, not the best idea in my opinion.
Works just fine. No different than a car with a strut where the weight is resting on the top stud. Shock mount in the frame is in the same structure as the upper spring pocket, same strength material throughout.

All I did was replace the under frame rubber bushing with one I made from Delron to better support the weight.

Mines been this way for a couple years, wheel stands every pass, never a problem with the mount.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts