Yellow Bullet Forums banner

41 - 47 of 47 Posts

·
I kill parts
10,039 Posts
It's not the same material as the original vanes, but has worked fine for us. There are lots of industrial applications for it; many cutting board surfaces are UHMW as well.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Make sure you check the rate of thermal expansion for whatever you decide to use. Some plastics grow A LOT with temperature

·
Registered
110 Posts
Make sure you check the rate of thermal expansion for whatever you decide to use. Some plastics grow A LOT with temperature
Yep, very important. If the vane material grows with heat (and with it running on a bare aluminum surface it will) clearances will have to be increased, and with that, efficiency and performance will suffer.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
Good point. I would like to run the original material, just don't know exactly what it is or where to get it. Like anything else in racing...there are many different combinations of equipment used, and as a racer, we find a way to make it work best for our application. I really don't feel I will hurt the performance of the pump enough to affect the output of the engine. When this pump locked up, it didn't do it in my shop when idling, it locked up on a winning run at a divisional race. It shredded the belt and quit somewhere during the run. My son just moved the valve cover line to the breather tank to vent the engine and kept on winning rounds. Car actually didn't slow down at all. Maybe it wasn't doing anything to help performance before it failed?.

·
Registered
837 Posts
I can tell you mine loses .03-.04 when the belt comes off. It has happened twice over the years and cost me rounds both times. Or at least it limited my chances of winning those rounds.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
It probably did actually lose some ET, hard to tell, he was running s/g on the throttle stop, car can run almost 2 seconds under the index, and he always holds a few numbers, so he was not running the car flat out. Other time we had a pump lock up was on the t/d, it made the run and then when he pulled his foot out at the end of the run the belt started squeeling and then flew off, we did the same thing to vent the engine to continue racing at that race too.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
Here is what I found that I think will work well, good to 260°, machinable, works well in a variety of conditions and not affected by fuels, is used in medical equipment, excellent wear ability.

" Cast Nylon MC901 is blue in color and offers long term thermal stability under 260 F. It is a material with excellent rigidity, high mechanical strength, and good stability under heat."

41 - 47 of 47 Posts