Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all - running an Aeromotive A-1000 pump on my BMW and it's been working well for me so far. People tend to say that this pump isn't very good though. I am looking to make 1000 hp max on a 76mm turbo (T4) with direct port nitrous and direct port methanol (supplementary to primary fuel). Do you think this pump will have enough in it? Or, should I get another one and run dual pumps? Or, should I consider getting a different pump all together?

I know Weldons can be good, but they're 2 - 3x the price. I have -10AN lines and -10AN rail on a 2.9L 24v motor - thanks!

·
Registered
920 Posts
I dont think a single a 1000 will cut it. I have started using magnafuel stuff and like it. id try a efi750 magnafuel.

·
Registered
174 Posts
+1 for the Magnafuel.

The A1000 won't cut it. My A1000 couldn't keep up @ about
775 to the tires on a V8 Turbo car with a Auto trans

my 2 cents

·
Registered
6,615 Posts
if your gonna run a A1000, you need 2 of them. You can put the 2nd one on a switch in the car or a hobbs switch so that it only turns on when you need it, not all the time

·
slow ass wiring guy
1,356 Posts
if your gonna run a A1000, you need 2 of them. You can put the 2nd one on a switch in the car or a hobbs switch so that it only turns on when you need it, not all the time
this is what i did just make sure you have a regulator that will keep up with both pumps. most weldons dont like street use without a controler. i hear the magnafuel pumps are good but never used one.

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
this is what i did just make sure you have a regulator that will keep up with both pumps. most weldons dont like street use without a controler*. i hear the magnafuel pumps are good but never used one.
*Its not a matter of not liking street use without the controller, its just that without the controller the pump will be operating at full speed and a street driven vehicle just doesn't need all that fuel all the time. When you slow the pump down to reduce the amount of fuel being driven through the system -- you minimize the chances of vapor lock. This is true with most external electric fuel pumps -- look at the pump's output at your base fuel pressure, if its more than your engine is consuming then your bypassing. The more you bypass the more heat gets into your fuel, the more heat, then the more likelyhood of a vapor lock or fuel boil condition.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks all - I think if I do need more I'll add a 2nd A1000. Another question - I am running all -10 line to an inline 6 and using an Aeromotive A1000 Regulator with -10 inlets but the return is -6. I thought about putting a -8 line on it by using an 1/4 NPT to -8 adapter but since its 1/4 NPT I don't know that it'd matter. Aeromotive says to run -6 and I did, however I see guys running -8 returns sometimes.

I don't have any issue at idle, which is when I'd think if there were to be a problem, it'd show up. It seems to be bypassing enough fuel for sure, but what are your thoughts?

·
Registered
920 Posts
with 2 pumps going, i bet u are going to have to have a 10 or 8 return. I had a efi750 on a blowthrough setup, with a 13202 reg. with a 6 return u couldnt go below 20lbs. i had to go to a 10 return to bypass enough fuel.

·
Registered
6,615 Posts
Thanks all - I think if I do need more I'll add a 2nd A1000. Another question - I am running all -10 line to an inline 6 and using an Aeromotive A1000 Regulator with -10 inlets but the return is -6. I thought about putting a -8 line on it by using an 1/4 NPT to -8 adapter but since its 1/4 NPT I don't know that it'd matter. Aeromotive says to run -6 and I did, however I see guys running -8 returns sometimes.

I don't have any issue at idle, which is when I'd think if there were to be a problem, it'd show up. It seems to be bypassing enough fuel for sure, but what are your thoughts?
with a dual pump set up you are gonna need to step up to the bigger regulator (13110) and run a -8 return line. Right now with the small reg and the single set up your fine with the -6. When you are ready, give me a call, we can get you all the plumbing you need.

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
I did some testing with Aeromotive a few years ago before they upgraded their A1000 pumps (500lbs vs 600lbs). At the time, they used only flow/voltage data and hadn't had any real dyno data to back it up.

On the Superflow 902, we made 847hp with using 501lbs of fuel. Part of the equation is obviously base pressure+total boost compensated pressure then calculated vs supply voltage. We were able to produce those numbers with 68psi of fuel pressure at 14.1V. A that point it was done.

We didn't get a chance to test the 600lb version which is what ships today but, I would say it would do 1000hp if your not pushing your base pressure up to compensate for smaller injectors. I would however recommend a second pump for saftey margin. Consider using a small inline pump like MSD or Walbro which should get you another 550-600hp worth of fuel at a lesser total cost.

You can stage the pumps so the hit on the regulator won't be so bad due to the engine volume usage.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I did some testing with Aeromotive a few years ago before they upgraded their A1000 pumps (500lbs vs 600lbs). At the time, they used only flow/voltage data and hadn't had any real dyno data to back it up.

On the Superflow 902, we made 847hp with using 501lbs of fuel. Part of the equation is obviously base pressure+total boost compensated pressure then calculated vs supply voltage. We were able to produce those numbers with 68psi of fuel pressure at 14.1V. A that point it was done.

We didn't get a chance to test the 600lb version which is what ships today but, I would say it would do 1000hp if your not pushing your base pressure up to compensate for smaller injectors. I would however recommend a second pump for saftey margin. Consider using a small inline pump like MSD or Walbro which should get you another 550-600hp worth of fuel at a lesser total cost.

You can stage the pumps so the hit on the regulator won't be so bad due to the engine volume usage.
Thanks that's good info - I plan on running 6 Bosch 150# lb injectors (peak and hold) for all my fueling. I really don't mind bypassing a ton of fuel if I can - so I'd run 2 pumps. It also makes the fuel table easier to tune for and predict since the pump turning on isn't an instant pressure change, it could make some weird transient issues. So I should probably upgrade to the super large regulator later on and add a second pump. My BMW fuel tank has a sump kit welded on with two outlets 1/2 NPT so I can fit two -10 feeds and run all the way up. Question is, since I have an inline motor, would I merge the dual pumps into a Y adapter or just feed both ends of the fuel rail and figure out a way to return from the center of the rail to the regulator? Not sure I have enough room on the rail to fit a -8 or -10 return :( Definitely not enough for a -10 return on the rail.

·
Registered
276 Posts
I made 976 to the wheels with an A1000, but it was a blow thru and it had 16v. It worked fine then the car just would'nt run under any boost, I think it just wore it out working it so hard.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I made 976 to the wheels with an A1000, but it was a blow thru and it had 16v. It worked fine then the car just would'nt run under any boost, I think it just wore it out working it so hard.
Yeah def - running it at 16v for a while could damage it

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
I always Y them together and have a single in/single out. On a V application we split it back to feed each rail.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts