Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
9,603 Posts
heard about that stuff years ago ,,They said that 1/8 of an inch used as insulation in a house and you could heat the house with a candle.

Can you imagine how many jobs would be lost if they used it to insulate houses???

·
Registered
2,953 Posts
heard about that stuff years ago ,,They said that 1/8 of an inch used as insulation in a house and you could heat the house with a candle.

Can you imagine how many jobs would be lost if they used it to insulate houses???
That's a pretty substantial exaggeration. LOL

I use it every day and I can assure you it's not quite that good.
We order it in 10mm thick rolls....6 layers used on vessels averaging 900* will let very little heat out. The outer jacketing will feel cool to the touch.
The stuff used to be miserable to work with but they have a silicone coating added now that really cuts down on the dust.
As far as insulation goes its as good as it gets...many large refineries I work in are starting to specify its use anywhere possible.
My company makes a proprietary coke drum insulation system. In the past we made these using mineral wool 6" thick using 8# density material.
We get better performance now with only 60mm. The benefits far outweigh the cost in our application.

·
Registered
109 Posts
A bunch of the AeroFoam is up on MARS.

JPL uses it to insolate the rovers, bitchen stuff but the "Foam" version is ultra fragile and almost lighter then air

·
Registered
3,288 Posts
Thinking about Cars now, but could Aerogel replace Dynamat?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts