Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 79 Posts

·
Registered
8,191 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A few days ago I noticed a lump under my Boxer's jaw (she just turned 2 this month) I took her to the vet today and the vet suspects lymphoma. A biopsy was done and we will get the cytology results back in 1-3 days..I'm pretty stressed right now, I'm hoping like hell that's not what she has but the vet said Boxer's are one of those breeds that are prone to cancer even as young as she is..she said if it is lymphoma she will refer me to a vet that specializes in cancer treatment..with aggressive therapy, she said we might get another 2 years out of her (she has no other symptoms other than the bump)...I'm so so sad..she's like one of my kids...she's the best dog ever and we love her so much...any advice would be greatly appreciated..:(

·
In Glock I Trust
6,808 Posts
Trash Or Be Trashed Where the weak are killed and eaten!!!!

·
Banned
41,558 Posts
If it comes back positive......

Most vet's charge around $40.00 dollars to put an animal down. Why put the animal thru discomfort for two years. Do the riight thing, put the animal down and get another.

·
Registered
876 Posts
Sounds like if thats what it is, you caught it early. Hope she will be ok. We had a Rott a long time ago that got it, he was only 5 when he went to heaven. He would swell up really bad and had to take a ton of steriods, after awhile it got bad enough that he had to goto heaven before suffering too much.

·
Registered
876 Posts

Most vet's charge around $40.00 dollars to put an animal down. Why put the animal thru discomfort for two years. Do the riight thing, put the animal down and get another.
Its a judgement call, they will let you know when they are ready. For awhile it will be ok though

·
Registered
8,191 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sounds like if thats what it is, you caught it early. Hope she will be ok. We had a Rott a long time ago that got it, he was only 5 when he went to heaven. He would swell up really bad and had to take a ton of steriods, after awhile it got bad enough that he had to goto heaven before suffering too much.
thanks for that...the vet said she didn't feel any other lumps so we caught it very early..I'm hoping thats' not what it is...I'm not putting her down, she has no other symptoms, she still acts like a puppy..

·
Registered
8,191 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

easy for you to say...I'm not putting her down, she's not suffering, this is all new to me right now..

·
Registered
847 Posts
So sorry to hear! We just lost our dog Chopper to bone cancer. We amputated the leg, put him on chemo, and we still lost the fight. It was the hardest thing we have ever had to do, but when he couldn't walk anymore we decided to put him down! This sucks for sure as our dogs are part of our family also. We also have a boxer and I hope he doesn't get cancer too. Good luck and we will pray for your boxer. Hopefully it comes back negative.

·
Turbocharged another BBC
6,633 Posts
A few days ago I noticed a lump under my Boxer's jaw (she just turned 2 this month) I took her to the vet today and the vet suspects lymphoma. A biopsy was done and we will get the cytology results back in 1-3 days..I'm pretty stressed right now, I'm hoping like hell that's not what she has but the vet said Boxer's are one of those breeds that are prone to cancer even as young as she is..she said if it is lymphoma she will refer me to a vet that specializes in cancer treatment..with aggressive therapy, she said we might get another 2 years out of her (she has no other symptoms other than the bump)...I'm so so sad..she's like one of my kids...she's the best dog ever and we love her so much...any advice would be greatly appreciated..:(

We've been going through the same thing with one of our dogs. We bought all the books, change the diet, dogs is on small doses of chemo in pill form, we take it in every month to have its blood checked and so far so good, the dog was three when it got sick and that was 18 months ago and they said it wouldn't make it through the night, good luck.

·
Memberless Member
1,062 Posts
Aw...I don't have any advice but I'm sorry about your dog. :(

·
Registered
2,285 Posts
Im hoping that it comes back negative and just an infection. I had a dog that passed from lymphoma. I had her since she was the size of a coke can and she got me thru the hard times of my life. She was so special to me. When I found out it broke me. She was 13 years old and I decided not to put her thru chemo. I put her on steroids to try that way and just watched her. I told myself that when the time came she was uncomfortable I would put her to sleep. The steroids made her very thirsty and panted alot...all night long even when she slept. I cooked her home cooked meals everday and let her eat anything she wanted... Her favorite was hamburger helper lasagna. Every day for 6 weeks I made her that and she was in heaven. The time did come that I could tell she was very uncomfortable and it was time. Like I said it broke me as she was "the one" dog that held a special place for me from everything we went thru together. This was many years ago and till this day I still break down at times thinking of her.

My advice....
Shes young and I have seen many dogs recover and go into remission and live long lives. Chemo is expensive and will maybe work...maybe not. If your not willing or able to commit fully then I would do the humane thing and put her down if it comes back +. You can keep an eye on her and give her prednisone steroids and she may do well and live many years.

Ill pray for you.. I know how you feel

·
Beer me!!
22,507 Posts
She may not be suffering now, but just try to do the right thing when and if she is suffering. I've seen a lot of people prolong their dog's suffering to make themselves feel better. That's wrong, and that sort of thing pisses me off!! I put my own dog down last summer, he was in extreme pain and suffering, and it was the right thing to do.

Hopefully this is just a false alarm with your Boxer!! Good luck!!!

·
RIP Dave - YB will miss you
25,442 Posts
easy for you to say...I'm not putting her down, she's not suffering, this is all new to me right now..
My German Shepherd had cancer and I kept him around until he wasn't able to get around very well.........when he was laying in the yard and a rabbit walked up to him and sat down next to him I knew it was time.......that rabbit would have been a snack when he was healthy.

You'll know when to do it........

1 - 20 of 79 Posts