8,464 Posts
i love that car

·
Registered
1,553 Posts

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
I've done it for a customer at his request. Not my preference but it works. Easy to burn the hood though. Down side is, you don't have a lot of pipe between the o2 and the atmosphere.

·
Registered
9,666 Posts
TurboTbirds does or did have his exiting the hood.

·
Registered
6,100 Posts
awesome car. is that a 4" or 5.5" extended cowl hood?

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I dont think I have ever seen an exhaust exit the hood. I didnt think it was legal for fear of puking oil/water on the windsheild if something lets go. I am interested now too.
I did a search and found maybe 4 example on here. Thought some of the owners might chime in about them.

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I've done it for a customer at his request. Not my preference but it works. Easy to burn the hood though. Down side is, you don't have a lot of pipe between the o2 and the atmosphere.
Room is at a premium, not sure about the bullhorn look. If i did split them i will want them behind the tire in the fender. Does the red one out of your camp have the exhaust out the top of the fenders or is that the wrong red car. If i did the hood exit single 5 inch it will be centered and yes not sure how the 02 will respond as pipe will be not much more than a regular 90.

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
Mine was through the hood and first startup of the day it would blow rusty water all over the hood and windshield.

I drilled a 1/8" hole in the bottom of the upward bend so that on startup the water could drip out on the ground. As long as I let it warm up before reving the engine, the exhaust didn't spit much on the hood and winshield.

Lost power to the oil return pump once and car looked like an old train blowing out heavy smoke as I made a pass. Entire top of car was covered with oil but none on the track.

I am switching to twins and plan to put the exhaust out the sides this time.

Only reason I put exhaust through hood was to solve a hard left turn problem I had when it went out the right side only.

If you don't mind wiping crap off the hood and winshield every couple of passes, it is pretty cool to have it in the hood.

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
I was thinking of putting mine through the front fender but I am only running a single and no room to split and go out both fenders. Does the exhaust pressure on one side really push the car around that much?

·
Registered
6,100 Posts
I was thinking of putting mine through the front fender but I am only running a single and no room to split and go out both fenders. Does the exhaust pressure on one side really push the car around that much?

x2 i will have a single 5"

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
I had a 4" pipe and it was in front of the tire, down low, and angled downward.

I know a lot of pressure was coming out because in some videos of the car launching from the left lane you can see the 2x4 foot metal lid over the staging beams being blown upward 45 degrees and then slaming down as the car passes by. Also blew chunks of the white lane stripe off the edge of the pavement.

At lower boost/power settings no problems. When i turned it up the left turn on launch started to happen. Everyone I talked to said no way the exhaust was to blame, but after several chassis adjustments did nothing, I cut a hole in the hood and used a 5" pipe. Car went straight again from that day on.

I think maybe a heavier car with a 5" pipe would have less trouble than I did with single side exit. I know others have done it and had no troubles.

·
Registered
1,645 Posts
Sensitive content, not recommended for those under 18 Show Content

I had this one out the hood for almost a year. Was a little loud and would spit some condensation on the window top when cold. The only problem I had was when I first did it, the rear needle and seat stuck and flooded the engine. The car still has streaks on it from where the fuel was "Raining" down on the car when it started!! I was not happy. I moved it out the side and it is a lot quieter in the car when driving it on the street now!

·
Registered
9,666 Posts
JESUS CHRIST SON!!! Build a bumper support for that thing!!!!

Hehehehe

on another side note..... Have you thought about buying one of those cheap ass bellmouths off ebay and cutting it up to fit that inlet pipe? might help it a little.

·
Registered
1,645 Posts
I had the same experience Glenn had also! When it was out the hood the car was easy to drive. When I first put it out the fender, the pipe was straight out and the car was pushing left hard! I put the mini bull horn on it and now it drives perfectly straight!

1 - 20 of 32 Posts