Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Car ramrod
10,130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I did work not long ago. Been about 2 months. I haven't gotten paid ($700) for working on this cunt's cobra. She has the car and won't answer letters, phone calls, etc etc. I let her take the car because I just didn't have the room and we both agreed (on paper thank god) to a payment plan. Never got a payment. If I throw a mechanics lien on the car can I legally repo it? What would be the best way to go about this? Thanks

·
Registered
12,487 Posts
i think in order to have a mechanics lien on a car you must possess it because in NY you need to put an add in the paper and auction it off to the highest bidder and there is a lot to it..

GL man

·
Registered
12,487 Posts

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
Been there. Just load up with a buddy and go to the door. Usually a face to face metting gets the point across. The lien way takes too long and usually favors the owner. Registered letter from a lawyer helps too.

·
Just a Mechanic........
1,367 Posts
Camp out on her front porch until you get paid:eek:

No,but seriously put her name,address and phone number on here and we'll take care of the rest;)

PS Good Luck

·
Car ramrod
10,130 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Been there. Just load up with a buddy and go to the door. Usually a face to face metting gets the point across. The lien way takes too long and usually favors the owner. Registered letter from a lawyer helps too.
I mean she puts the car in car shows all over socal. I thought about going to a car show she is at and COLLECT but it won't work and it ain't worth getting in trouble over. I was hoping I wouldn't have to do small claims but damn. Looks likeI have too which sucks. It is either that or get my parts off the car since I paid for them

·
Rippin' Gears!
2,885 Posts
Depends on the state for sure. Lived in a midwestern state a few years ago, a guy from 2 states
away broke down. I repaired his car pronto. I ended up with a rubber check. Can't remember
if I felt sorry for the guy, or one of my guys took the check. I did take it right to my bank. Anyway,
it was going on midnight by the time I found the car at a motel. Winched that beeyoch on the trailer
in record time. Guy sticking his head out the window "I'll get the money". He was at the shop pretty
early the next morning-with cash.
That particular state, auto techs/mechanics didn't fare well in court. I guess in this state (Wa.) it's
relatively straight forward to get a mechanics lien on a vehical.

·
waiting to make a pass!
18,370 Posts
Put some aircraft stripper in a squirt bottle and give the car a dose while walking bye, worked for me, i never got paid, but felt very satified in the end

·
Put Custom Title HERE!...
56,427 Posts
Just "Google" Attorney letterhead, write out a request for payment and send it "certified"!... :smt102

PS: Don't use "Dewey, Cheatem and Howe"!... :yawinkle:

·
Aviation Section
25,981 Posts
If she is an Attorney you have her by the short hairs, just call the Bar and lodge a complaint, make sure you have all your paperwork when they ask you questions and she will be calling you with the quickness! Dave

·
Grizzly
45,815 Posts
Once she got back possion it was game over .... you can take her to court and if she dosent win you can get a judgment ... and you still wont get youre money unless she owns a house and sells it then you will get paid if youre lucky it could take years ....remember no shirt no shoes no dice

·
Rippin' Gears!
2,885 Posts
Another customer had raised hell about a $500 bill. My prices were always fair. Lady wanted to take her
car, without paying. Stated she was going to take me to court. I told her she had the right to do that.
Meanwhile if she didn't pick it up within 2 weeks, I told her I would have to charge her $33 a day for storage.
(It was what the outfit that did my towing was charging at the time) "I'm going to call the cops" I pointed out
our phone. Police officer got there, and told her she would have to pay, in order to take the car.
She whips out her checkbook. "It will have to be cash 'maam" Now she's really starting to rant and rave.
The officer asks me if I allow other customers to pay with a check. By this time I had a sign, "No Checks"
I told them the only other option was mastercard/visa. The officer left, she paid. Never heard another word
from her. Hated to lose a customer, but take me to court for a job you're not going to pay for? WTF

·
Creepy Ass ******
5,801 Posts
Take 3 or 4 of the biggest guys you know and start winching that bitch on a trailer. Bet you get your money with a quickness. Good luck

·
Registered
7,506 Posts
Youi said you had a payment agreement in writing with signatures.
That is all the legal documentation you need.

Got to court.

A Mechanoic's lien means she can't sell the car if she has it,,,,as you are on the title as the lein holder. I f you have it the same applies, but she don't get to have it, like a bank repo.

·
Registered
684 Posts
it's not as easy as it sounds, mechanic lean that is, especially if there is a lien on the vehicle, file small claims, and have the sheriff deliver it for a little extra, then tack that on her bill, usually when the law gets involved they jump a little quicker, she will probably pay up when you also tell her you can re-coup your expense in court for your time.

·
Registered
2,377 Posts
Get another shop to call or mail a FREE OIL change special. WHen the car comes in you're now in possession of it and can legally hold it until your bill is paid. You gotta get creative

1 - 20 of 36 Posts