Yellow Bullet Forums banner

advantages of aluminum rods over steel rods?

2K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  396chevelle 
#1 ·
advantages of aluminum rods over steel rods? how much stronger are they? how long will a set of grp aluminum rods last? are the bearing tolerences different? does the oil need to be heated before start-up? thinking of going aluminum this time around but i want to know what im getting myself into :?

thanx
corey

#2 ·
There Not stronger, there lighter and they absorb alot of the "shock" that's why you see them mostly in nitrous engines, they help save the crank and the block from a beating, but there is no way to tell if there ready to "go" I've called rod companys about this they said an old rod might last as long or longer then a new one that's part of the reason they change them so often, and if it's cold you better heat it up real good before beating on it

#3 ·
I think shock and weight are the biggest factors. The bearing clearances are close to normal at room temp. But they grow a lot after things get hot. I was told by GRP if the temp gets below 30 f you might have a problem with not enough bearing clearance.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.