Yellow Bullet Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So i got my team z k member in and forgot to order it with adjustable A-arms... is there a big advantage to running those or should i save the $130 and hassle and just install the non-adj ones.

thanks

·
Registered
5,691 Posts
i know people run the adjustable so they can align the car and have the caster camber plate with as much caster as possible.

im sure there or more reasons.

·
Tony McKellar
4,812 Posts
Some of the K-member designs throw the wheel out past the outer lip of the fender,with the adjustable arms,you can pull em back in.I just went through this with a QA1 Kmember.

·
Registered
602 Posts
Some of the K-member designs throw the wheel out past the outer lip of the fender,with the adjustable arms,you can pull em back in.I just went through this with a QA1 Kmember.
I don't believe you'll find this with Dave's kmembers. Most of that is in the control arm length anyway (moving the wheels out) then you have the aftermarket brakes where the hub pushed the wheel out that much further.

·
Registered
602 Posts
i know people run the adjustable so they can align the car and have the caster camber plate with as much caster as possible.

im sure there or more reasons.
x2

I think most issues are in the control arm length of the more "common" cheaper setups. :) On top of that you have people trying to install race brakes or a style lack there of on the front that moves the wheel mounting surface (hub effectivley) out further. The adjustable arms allow you to pull this back in, you can also get some arms 1" shorter from the get go to bring the wheel in further.

·
Tony McKellar
4,812 Posts
I don't believe you'll find this with Dave's kmembers. Most of that is in the control arm length anyway (moving the wheels out) then you have the aftermarket brakes where the hub pushed the wheel out that much further.
Found out the hard way,I'll never buy another one from QA1,next 1 will def come from Dave,hell of a nice guy as well.:cool:

·
Collecting dust
4,534 Posts
fixed caster camber plates

I run a set of fixed caster/camber plates because they give me just over 6 degrees of caster angle. Without an adjustable control arm, there'd be no way to set the caster or the camber. In case your wondering why anyone would even consider running a non-adjustable CC plate, it's because you can't get much more than 3 degrees of caster with an adjustable caster/camber plate. The extra caster makes the car want to go straight even when your not steering it. However, it also makes the steering input needed to turn at lower speeds higher. If you ever get a chance to take a car with a bunch of caster angle down the track, I can promise you, you'll love it!

I'm borrowing this picture from Dave Z's website (sorry Dave, I hope you don't mind). This is a CC plate like I'm talking about:

·
Collecting dust
4,534 Posts
So what caster/camber plates would you guys recommend? I have the adjustable A-arms.
The ones I actually run are Skinny Kid (Keith Engling). However the ones in the pic I posted are from Dave Zimmerman's website. I don't know if Dave makes them or if the ones on that car were from Keith, but I can tell you I would highly recommend Dave (Team Z) if he makes them. He really goes the extra mile to help his customers HOOK.

I finally got to make passes at the track tonight with the 93LX in my signature and avatar. I've scaled the car, but other than that, no real setup yet. The car made about 1300hp (clipping the last pull at 7100rpm at only 26lbs of boost with 18 degrees of timing) on a Mustang chassis dyno yesterday. Even with a very mild program in the ams1000 it was spinning wildly on the top end (probably because of heavy due). Even so, with the 6+ degrees of caster angle the car was very easy to drive and not over correct.

I can't say enough about how much difference a few degrees of extra caster makes in the stability of the car at speed. Personally, I'll never go back to adjustable caster camber plates. A 130mph 1/8th mile pass basically blowing the tires off at 500ft was like a Sunday drive.

Our other car (91mm turbo 363 sbf, glide) makes close to the same power and has basically the same powertrain, but with UPR adjustable CC plates (which are of excellent quality BTW), but with only 2.5 degrees of caster angle, it's a hand full if it's spinning.

I really like the UPR's in an adjustable CC plate, but I like the Skinny's so well, if I still had a Mustang for a daily driver, I'd even put them on it.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.