Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just a quickie , degreeing a crower cam that has not been ground for nitrous , the card says install on an intake centre line of 108 , i've installed it on an IC of 103 , is this ok? , as i figure the EX valve wants to open sooner with spray.

Cam spec.

112 LSA
534/552 lift
238/249 @ 0.50
1.5 RR

TIA.

·
Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
:smt102:smt102

Anybody out there?

Charger weighs 4300lb , 440 big block ,10.1 CR , eddy heads ported , 28" tyres , 727 , 300 shot of gas.............

TIA.

·
Registered
5,403 Posts
That might be a double edged sword. Advancing it will make the exhaust valve open sooner but also make the intake close sooner which will result in higher cylinder pressure. 5 degrees is alot and it will change the torque curve.
If you only going to spray once and awhile I would suggest you degree it in per the cam card. If your going to spray alot bit the bullet and get the correct cam for the application.

·
Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Jester , just thought i might get a better response in 'cam section'.:confused:

Thanks Guys , the motor is mostly used on the street , but does see some track time , reason i changed the cam is the motor ran an 11.01 1/4 mile & i really gotta get it in the 10s as it's been a long battle but not there yet.

While the motor was down having the rings changed i decided to swap the cam out for a wider lobe seperation, as the other cam was ground on a 108 , my thinking the nitrous might stand a better chance than goin straight out the ex valve with the 108 lsa , also thought i'd advance the cam 4* from the card , all i need is to hit the 10 & i am just trying different ways , don't know if it will run better or worse on the track.:rolleyes:

Any more feedback is most welcome.
TIA.

·
Registered
27,956 Posts
Usually

Usually most nitrous cams are more toward the 110 and up side. Since you have no problem cramming it full of cylinder pressure, it needs a way to get more out. I did however have mine installed @ 114 and it picked up a little by backing it down to 110. But 108 is really the opposite end of the spectrum for a nitrous cam.

·
Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks , the replacement is a 112 lsa installed on a 103 ICL , my thinking is by advancing the cam it will help get the heavy ole bitch off the line quicker.

·
Registered
27,956 Posts
Thanks , the replacement is a 112 lsa installed on a 103 ICL , my thinking is by advancing the cam it will help get the heavy ole bitch off the line quicker.

If it were me, I'd install it somewhere around 110 and spray the piss out of it to get it off the line. But that's just me.

·
Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Holy Tons Of Fun Batman 4300lbs? She is a BIG Girl isn't she?
Is there any way you can lighten it up a tad? That would be a instant way to go faster. What body is it anyway?
:-D

Yea , 68 dodge charger B body , you don't wanna know why it's sooooooooo heavy.:smt100

·
Registered
10,229 Posts
If it were me, I'd install it somewhere around 110 and spray the piss out of it to get it off the line. But that's just me.
what he said.

·
Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Can't take any weight out of it , this is the whole point of chasing the 10s in a full weight 4300lb B body.

What's your thinking on retarding the cam to a 110 ICL , the reason i advanced it was to open the EX valve earlier to reduce pumping losses , am i not on the right track guys?

Again , thanks for you're input.

·
Registered
5,403 Posts
I think you will find that if you need to advance or a retard a cam 4 degs or more it is not really the best cam for the application.
Since you are driving the car where do you feel it it needs a boost? Would you like to reduce your 60' time or do you feel some top end charge would be better?
Last question, what hood is on it and is it sucking hot air from under the hood or fresh clean air from outside?

·
Registered
10,229 Posts

·
Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Not for nitrous.
I like the short sweet answer , can you go a little deeper & put me on the right track.

:confused:

Just wanna get that extra .01 of a second , this motor has not been built for nitrous , just wanna squeeze it that little bit more to put me in the 10s.

Thanks again.

·
Registered
551 Posts
Just a quickie , degreeing a crower cam that has not been ground for nitrous , the card says install on an intake centre line of 108 , i've installed it on an IC of 103 , is this ok? , as i figure the EX valve wants to open sooner with spray.

Cam spec.

112 LSA
534/552 lift
238/249 @ 0.50
1.5 RR

TIA.
Install it straight like the way it is 112 is a good centerline but may suggest more duaration sometime in the near future

·
Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I spoke with a guy @ Crower a while back & asked him if i could improve on the way they were suggesting to dial it in as i was running on the spray , he said to advance the cam 8*(100* ICL) from where the card suggests , i met him half way & advanced it 5* (103* ICL).

It seems to me i should of installed it @ 108* ICL , or better still 112* ICL as most of you guys are sayin.

Will see how it performs as it is (103*ICL) , then will retard to 110* @ the track.

Thought i'd start this thread to see if you agreed with the guy from Crower , which would of made me feel a whole lot better.

:smt082

·
Registered
5,403 Posts
I spoke with a guy @ Crower a while back & asked him if i could improve on the way they were suggesting to dial it in as i was running on the spray , he said to advance the cam 8*(100* ICL) from where the card suggests , i met him half way & advanced it 5* (103* ICL).

It seems to me i should of installed it @ 108* ICL , or better still 112* ICL as most of you guys are sayin.

Will see how it performs as it is (103*ICL) , then will retard to 110* @ the track.

Thought i'd start this thread to see if you agreed with the guy from Crower , which would of made me feel a whole lot better.

:smt082
Advance it 8 degs, are you kidding me? At best that is a poor band aid. If he thinks you need to move the cam that much I say it is time to get a new cam ground for your combo. Anything else will be a guess and shot in the dark.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts