Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
655 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
BillMac is our Guinea Pig, We gonna put a big ass unit on his 5:30 car for ORSCA Valdosta and see what happens!! This shit will be fun!!!

Virgil Hartman a.k.a. Hartman Enterprize's is building the vessel to comply with NHRA tech and it should pick him up three tenths along with the alcohol carb he should be good!!!

Sign of the times boys Nitrous is *Old School*

http://www.sgmpphotos.com/Drag2008-07-05/index.html

·
Registered
5 Posts
I don't think the results would good if used like nitrous from a compressed tank.....fireworks.
On this board, we obey the laws of thermodynamics, dammit!

Takes more energy to produce the hydrogen through electrolysis than you get back by burning it. If you're powering it with an alternator, it's a net loss to the driveshaft. If you're powering it with a battery, you'd be better off using that electricity to directly drive the wheels.

/thread

·
Registered
4,735 Posts
Takes more energy to produce the hydrogen through electrolysis than you get back by burning it. If you're powering it with an alternator, it's a net loss to the driveshaft. If you're powering it with a battery, you'd be better off using that electricity to directly drive the wheels.
/thread
If we are talking about Hydrogen as an additive, and not the primary fuel, there are other advantages. A small amount of hydrogen in the combustion chamber can promote better flame front speed and more complete burn of your favorite hydro-carbon due to hydrogens extemely fast flame propagation.

Do you think you could make more power if you could actually burn all the fuel you were pumping into your cylinder?? That's just about efficency, not breaking or bending any basic rules of physics.

·
Another Nobody
11,806 Posts
If we are talking about Hydrogen as an additive, and not the primary fuel, there are other advantages. A small amount of hydrogen in the combustion chamber can promote better flame front speed and more complete burn of your favorite hydro-carbon due to hydrogens extemely fast flame propagation.

Do you think you could make more power if you could actually burn all the fuel you were pumping into your cylinder?? That's just about efficency, not breaking or bending any basic rules of physics.
the flame front and speed can also be manipulated by using thermal barriers in the combustion chambers and piston, and that way there is no water to carry around, I don't think it matters where the H comes from you inject, why should coming from a bottle be any different than coming from an extractor/generator. The only difference is with the bottle it is easier to get greedy.

·
Banned
69,762 Posts
I don't think it matters where the H comes from you inject, why should coming from a bottle be any different than coming from an extractor/generator. The only difference is with the bottle it is easier to get greedy.
I think it has something to do with why people have been using them on their daily drivers.......$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$. Water is free.

·
photobomber
2,512 Posts

So you're saying that adding a small amount of hydrogen will improve your BSFC?

·
Registered
1,043 Posts

/thread
Electrolysis is old school. Catalytic separation requires no power source.

·
photobomber
2,512 Posts
Electrolysis is old school. Catalytic separation requires no power source.
Neither does perpetual motion, and both are equally impossible.

If you have a way to separate water into hydrogen and oxygen without a power source, I suggest you patent it and become the richest man in the world.

Hell, if you have a way to separate water into hydrogen and oxygen that even just requires 90% of the energy returned from recombining them, you've solved the world's energy needs.

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Neither does perpetual motion, and both are equally impossible.

If you have a way to separate water into hydrogen and oxygen without a power source, I suggest you patent it and become the richest man in the world.

Hell, if you have a way to separate water into hydrogen and oxygen that even just requires 90% of the energy returned from recombining them, you've solved the world's energy needs.
Not me, I'm addicted to drag racing so there's no time for inventing stuff. On the other hand, a few prominent colleges have developed catalytic processes to separate the hydrogen from the oxygen that look very promising. Here's a couple of links, no snake oil sales involved:

http://web.mit.edu/newsoffice/2008/oxygen-0731.html

http://www.purdue.edu/UNS/html4ever/2005/050831.AbuOmar.hydrogen.html

http://www.physorg.com/news98556080.html

I can't find the direct link to Perdue but the last link just repeats the same story from Perdue. This is the the same line of technology that all of the coal fired plants in the country are using to reduce emissions to meet the 2009 EPA standards (not including mercury emissions).

1 - 20 of 50 Posts