Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HI
Just would like to no how most of you adjust your lash on your motors?DO you do the firing order method or else wise?
Do you adjust them HOT or COLD??

Thanks

·
Registered
3,384 Posts
Always adjust hot.Metal expands when heated.The lash adjustments on your'e cam card are for hot clearances.If it's a fresh engine,just use the cam card specs to get it fired up,then adjust them after that while hot.

·
barndoorslammer
2,368 Posts
With aluminum heads and an iron block set the lash .005" tighter cold, that should give the proper hot lash setting or very close. You could also hot lash the valves and then let the engine cool and see how much the lash has changed. EOIC is the best way to set valve lash one side at a time. JMO

·
Registered
4,194 Posts
EOIC method, cold. Then recheck and adjust after warmup and take notes of difference, then take notes again when it's full cold...........I can get them nearly perfect every time like that, warm or cold.

·
Drunk and Disorderly
2,251 Posts
EOIC method, cold. Then recheck and adjust after warmup and take notes of difference, then take notes again when it's full cold...........I can get them nearly perfect every time like that, warm or cold.
Yup, that nails it

·
color me gone
1,418 Posts
well my self i like firing order and if you do it cold and have a iron block with aluminum heads -4 on valve lash but always check hot and cold to see what your set changes to from hot to cold for your own reference point ever motor is a little different

·
Procharger Power
23,972 Posts
Hot, ICEO. I start at the front and work back so I don't miss any. My initial cold lash is .012 tighter for an all aluminum engine and it's about dead on.

·
Registered
4,731 Posts
well my self i like firing order and if you do it cold and have a iron block with aluminum heads -4 on valve lash but always check hot and cold to see what your set changes to from hot to cold for your own reference point ever motor is a little different
I'm with you on this one.

·
out of work hair dresser
8,341 Posts
Like others have said, cold is the best method. If you are not familiar with expansion rates, you'll have to figure out that cold setting yourself.

If you adjust "hot", by the time you've started adjusting the first to the last, the engine has cooled some and your lash settings will be different. Don't believe it? Try it. After you have finished the last one, go back and check the first one.............seems tight doesn't it? Or maybe the last ones are loose?

Get the engine to operating temperature and adjust the intake and exhaust rocker on cylinder #1 as per hot setting spec........come back to it a few hours later or the next day and merely measure at #1 intake and exhaust. This will be your true cold spec. It helps to be in a temp controlled environment also. They will measure tighter at 40 degree temps than 70 degree so be consistent.

The cold setting will render the same setting for each cylinder every time.

·
Registered
14,769 Posts
I know where my ICL and EXCL are...roll the crank a full turn from there, you know you're exactly opposite the lobe. You can do that by firing order.

·
Registered
14,769 Posts
Like others have said, cold is the best method. If you are not familiar with expansion rates, you'll have to figure out that cold setting yourself.

If you adjust "hot", by the time you've started adjusting the first to the last, the engine has cooled some and your lash settings will be different. Don't believe it? Try it. After you have finished the last one, go back and check the first one.............seems tight doesn't it? Or maybe the last ones are loose?

Get the engine to operating temperature and adjust the intake and exhaust rocker on cylinder #1 as per hot setting spec........come back to it a few hours later or the next day and merely measure at #1 intake and exhaust. This will be your true cold spec. It helps to be in a temp controlled environment also. They will measure tighter at 40 degree temps than 70 degree so be consistent.

The cold setting will render the same setting for each cylinder every time.
I've been using -.006 on iron block, alum. headed BB Chevs for years, and it never fails. One thing to remember...a thou one way or the other isn't critical. Each person has their own "feel", but what is critical is consistency from cyl. to cyl. I agree on establishing your own correction for cold lash for consistency, but once you get it down, you should be able to run the valves in a matter of minutes.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts