Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I had a custom trailer built.

The design concept front half enclosed and rear open deck. I mostly off-road, and wanted an open deck for mud, and over sized trucks.

I have filled out the inside of the enclosed part. Bed, tools, cabinets, entertainment and so on.

So, when nothing is on deck, the trailer is very heavy at the hitch. ~2200# (using a weigh safe ball)

I'm thinking of relocating the battery bank to aft of the axles. Currently batteries are just behind the enclosed part, in a toolbox on the deck.

I'm also thinking of adding one or two large water tanks at the end of the trailer. Thinking if towing empty, I can fill both water tanks. (like to drive ~1500 miles to pickup a new ride). Then drain the water when loaded.

I'd also use the water tanks to get me outside "shower" OR some kind of outside water hose for cleaning hands or light mud.

I'm basically looking for input on shifting weight and water hose cleaning. Any ideas welcomed. Thanks!

·
T/S 368E
30,483 Posts

Is it that bad when empty?? Or is this a preventive project.
I just towed my triple tag yesterday fully loaded and one of my Camaros.
I dropped off the Camaro and towed back still fully loaded in the front because it was too damn cold to unload.
No idea what the exact balance was, but there was absolutely nothing from the door back and stacked to the ceiling in front.
It had to have a ton of tongue weight with very little balance, and even being fairly windy, it towed just as well as always.

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for reply. Your last tow, with the front loaded is a good description of my concern. I'm just trying to better balance the trailer.

Actually it tows fine, empty, loaded and even a bit overloaded.

But when nothing is on deck, the weight on the ball is greater than ~2200#. Where, when I have something on the deck, the weight is 1200# to 1800#.

My goal is to reduce the weight on the ball when empty. My ideas are to simply move some of the heavy items as far rear as I can.

Thanks!

·
Registered
20,704 Posts
Maybe? Get a big heavy lockable job box, equip with BIG easy rolling wheels, appriate tie down points, and just wheel it out of the "shed" back over the tires?

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Maybe? Get a big heavy lockable job box, equip with BIG easy rolling wheels, appriate tie down points, and just wheel it out of the "shed" back over the tires?
Thanks for the reply.

I was thinking water, cause I can simply dump it when deck is loaded. So, if driving ~1200 miles empty, I would fill rear water tank(s). Then, when loading a car on the deck, I can simply dump the tank.

Plus, Im liking the idea of having a water hose to rinse off deck, trucks, hands and so on.

Question for those with RV trailers, where do these guys place the water tanks? Is it mostly rear of axles? or does it veary?

Thanks

·
Registered
83 Posts
On my 44 ft living quarters trailer,the water tank is at the front where the goose starts. my garage is 24 ft and even when I put my 4,000 lbs Elco BBC in the pin only looses about -500 lbs,

·
Registered
2,838 Posts
You need sliding axels like the semi trailers have, when the trailer is empty you can slide them forward until you get the tongue weight right.

·
The Liquor Makes Me Think
3,151 Posts
You need sliding axels like the semi trailers have, when the trailer is empty you can slide them forward until you get the tongue weight right.

haha. I was just about to suggest the same thing.

Very simple and easy design.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts