Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i am getting rid of my motor mounts in a few weeks, my converter was not setup for having a midplate so it has stock pads. is it ok for me to use the same thickness spacer on the pad as the mid plate to even everything out? or should i have the converter rebuilt with a new cover?

·
Registered
888 Posts
Have just done that here with a T400 on a 383SB. Converter came with spacers to allow for the mid plate but it also needed a longer spigot on the centre to go into the crank. The centre spigot is pressed or screwed on.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Have just done that here with a T400 on a 383SB. Converter came with spacers to allow for the mid plate but it also needed a longer spigot on the centre to go into the crank. The centre spigot is pressed or screwed on.

My flex plate has a locator that just slides in. if need be i can have a spacer made for it.

·
Banned
71,969 Posts
Always prefer to weld the spacers to the mounting pads on the conv and pilot snout. Never lost a single one to date.

Yes, what ever thickness midplate you use, have the same amount added to the conv mounting pads and pilot snout.

·
Registered
861 Posts
I machined spacers with a 7/16 ID and a 1" OD from 6061 and they worked great. Surprisingly the pilot still entered the crank a safe distance past the chamfer.

I know with neal chance if the pilot is too short they will send you a new one where you chisel it off and press the new one in.

·
T/S 368E
33,632 Posts

No expert, but I've used grade 8 washers many many times when I didn't have time to have converter sent out for new pads welded on.
Maybe all of us have just been lucky?? Besides, even with the pads welded on, I've still had to use washers to get my 3/16".

1 - 7 of 7 Posts