Yellow Bullet Forums banner

Acid Reflux

2K views 47 replies 40 participants last post by  kinda93cobra 
#1 ·
Does anyone have any good remedies for GERD (Acid Reflux) ?

#3 ·
Ive suffered from it for years. Been sipping off a Mylanta bottle for years. Had an endoscopy done and they said I had no signs of erosion on my esophagus or duodenal valve at all. Dr told me if Mylanta had been working for me all those years. To keep on using it.. Ive got a bottle in every vehicle I own.. Even the hotrod.. HA HA

#37 ·
Ive suffered from it for years. Been sipping off a Mylanta bottle for years. Had an endoscopy done and they said I had no signs of erosion on my esophagus or duodenal valve at all. Dr told me if Mylanta had been working for me all those years. To keep on using it.. Ive got a bottle in every vehicle I own.. Even the hotrod.. HA HA
dealt with it for 25 years , heavy drinking caused it ...duodenal valve is gone & esophegus is ulcerated so it's never gunna change but diet & drinking in moderation does help .
nexium would work for a couple of months then the doc would double the dose for it to be effective .
in the end i just had to change the diet & drinking habits to control it better .
still smoke 60 / day but :rolleyes:

#4 ·
I have had 7 surgeries for eshpigel dilation . I have been on one form or another of acid reducers for over 12 years . If I go more than a week without protonix or an equivalent I begin to loose the ability to swallow foods and the GERD is so severe that I actually get acid blisters in the back of my mouth and throat . There is no fix , only the ability to keep it under control with the proper medication . Bobby

#10 ·
I had this and had surgery performed call a NISSEN(sp). They actually pull the stomach up around the bottom of the esophagus and do a full or partial wrap around the bottom. The stomach then acts as the muscle to move the food down. I had this done 15 years ago and no more problems.

For the OP, over the counter Prilosec works well.

#6 ·
I take generic prilosec, but after seeing dr. Iwould eat tums all day without acid reducer... It SUX.

I do know for a fact that most likely you can chaange your diet and make it go away. I did for 5 yrs!

#24 ·
x2

#22 ·
If you decide to take medication try Aciphex first. I used it for years before having surgery to fix a Hiatal Hernia. If changing your diet doesn't help you really should see a doctor though.[/QUOTE x2.aciphex has worked wonders for me.it does not work on contact but is more of a preventitive.I have had gerd for 10 plus years.

#11 ·
See a Dr. It may be just a change in diet or you may need some serious medicine. My brother is going through this now, was eating Tums like candy. Changed his diet a little and most of it was gone. You need to find out what is going on in there to treat it properly. It usually isn't serious but it can get out of hand and phuck you up. Why take a chance?

#13 ·
lose weight and quit smoking , don,t drink pop or beer , and eat small portions of food and drink a decent amount of water each day . i have suffered for 20yrs with GERD and all of the above has helped HUGH!!! i have been off my meds for 8mths now by losing 20lbs and watching my diet , i don,t smoke cigarettes or cigars but love my pot so i bought a vaporizer and that has helped bigtime as well

#14 ·
I got my nose broken awhile back. After that came a series of sinus infections, and I started clearing my throat alot. The sinus infections went away, and a neti-pot helped me alot.

However, the throat clearing never went away. My sinus doctor is sending me to the gastrointestinal doc. His claim is that I have silent reflux, potentially GERD. He stuck a scope up my nose and down my throat and says my esophagus is irritated and seems to have some extra skin, causing the post nasal drip type feeling in my throat.

I see the doctor in about a month and am anxious to see what he says. I have been clearing my throat for over a year now and the feeling is always the same, very annoying. The worst part is that sometimes it gets worse for a few hours and everyone thinks I am sick at work....

#15 ·
I took Prilosec for a while. Worked awesome but the damn migraines it gave me now and again would bring king kong to his knees so I had to stop and go back to the mylanta.

I did have a 3 month stint where I didnt suffer from it while I did the Atkins diet several years back. But my fat ass likes to eat stuff that aint good for me so I deal with the cherry mylanta.. ha ha

Just be careful. More than 3 or 4 mouthfulls in a day and your shitting like a goose the next morning..:p

#23 ·
Kelly, if you are having symptoms more than a couple times a week, please see a doctor. I had a ruptured esophogus 2 years ago that almost took me out. The stomach acid had caused the wall to weaken and finally rupture causing my stomach to fill with blood, I can tell you rest later if you want. Ive been on Protonix since and Maalox before each meal. Prilosec works well for over the counter. Also change your diet until you get it under control.

#27 ·
Remember when Acid Reflux Disease was just "heartburn"?

My everyday heartburn started when I was 19 and simply lived with it everyday. I ate Rolaids like Lifesaver candy. In my mid 20's I started going to a Chiropractor for back problems which I'd also had since my early to mid teen years. For 6 years of going to the Chiro, I had no headaches, no back pain, and no heartburn.............but it was costing me out the ass. After several $800 T-shirts from the Chiro, I quit going and soon there after, the headaches, back pain and heartburn returned. The headaches are everyday but light enough to take a BC Powder and rock on. The back pain comes and goes but when it's severe, I simply have my wife walk on my back. As far as the heartburn............Prilosec has changed my life as of the last few years. I eat whatever I want (I love hot and spicy) and don't worry about it. There is one evil and don't know if anyone else has experience the same but........

Prilosec does take a day to so get into your system to do it's job. Because of this in very beginning, I didn't think it was going to work but after about the 3rd day my heartburn was gone. However, it only takes about a day for it to get out of my system if I run out or what-have-you, with me, if I skip just 1 day, the next evening is fucking hell. It seems as though all the years of not having heartburn gang up on me and it hits me hard enough to bring me to tears. My esophagus is so torn up afterward that everything irritates it for a couple of days. I've learned to stay stocked up on it for sure!

#33 ·
I up until recently had the worst heart burn/acid reflux ever.I have found something that is the best. As a matter of fact I no longer take my perscription meds for it. I take Digestive enzymes and I also take 1 cap full of a drink called Ultimate alloe.
The digestive enzymes nuetralize all the acids in your stomach which is where the heart burn starts and the Ultimiate Aloe juice also helps with the relux and helps heal the lining in your throat.
The danger with reflux is it can literaly eat away at your throat lining and cause some series problems later.The Ultimate alloe juice taste good as well, we get the strawberry banna flavor.
If anybody wants any info I will forward it to you, Im telling you it works !

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.