Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
4,375 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Looks like they're moving from the strictly low end computers to mid range stuff too, what are people thinking?

·
Registered
464 Posts
I just bought a new dell and now i read this. I was looking at the acer line also. And I bought an HP unit it arived and would not work out of the box I spent 4hrs on the phone trying to diagnose the proublem for them so I sent it back.

·
Registered
15,547 Posts
I have an Acer 5740 I-3 Processor, with all the toys... Had for about
6 or 8 months.. Paid $549.00 from Tiger Direct.... It absolutely ROCKS..

·
Registered
3,130 Posts
just purchased a acer laptop and like it very much.....easy to set up and use....and im far from a computer guru

have a dell in my wifes office....dont see much of a differance

·
Registered
5,039 Posts
Bought a acer 5315 5 years ago at wal mart for 300.00 bucks.I use it in the shop,been droped many times,spilt oil on it,keys get full of cig ash to the point you have to blow them out,sees rain,temps from 0-105 and much more abuse.Never had a minutes problem out of it.Had many dell's,hp's and more and the little sucker has out lasted all of them,and it is what im on right now.Wish i would of bought 2 of them at the time if i knew it was gona last this long.When this sucker quit's il be looking for another.Heck even some of my buddies have them now and no problem's.

·
Registered
601 Posts
Bought one of the Acer notebooks for the wife about 6 months ago from wally world. She loves it, no problems at all. She doesn't use our full size PC anymore. It was a little over 300 bucks which I thought wasn't bad. Would buy another one.

·
Head Phuckstick
18,601 Posts
Acer used to make some decent equipment back in the 90's!

Shannon

·
TURBOBULLET.COM BITCHES!
6,046 Posts
They're all pink....... err I mean thes same on the inside... No computer manufacturer makes their own hardware, with the exception of ASUS, MSI, and a few others.

·
Registered
162 Posts
ive had mine for just about a year and the main board had to get replaced. they mis diagnosed it over the phone and the warranty ran out in the mean time. it was an absolute nightmare to get it fixed. their customer service sucks ass. they only way you can get in touch with them is through emails. so if youre relying on an acer as your sole computer and something goes wrong just throw it in the garbage

·
coffee extraordinaire
11,218 Posts
I have 2 Acer Aspire one netbooks, a Acer 5542, and a 4 month old HP DV7.
The Acer one netbook's are kick ass. They are running on Windows XP, but have ZERO problems. The Acer 5542 I bought because my Compaq took a shit(worked for 3 years & I put that thing through hell). The 5542 has worked flawlessly for over a year & counting. I had it apart for about an hour doing the thermal grease, that is it.
My DV7... ZERO problems also(I take it when I work on the Camaro & this thing gets FILTHY, but I clean it & never have problems, still looks new).

About the only thing that can go wrong with these that is not really fixable are the integrated cards on them. Other than that, if you have a small screwdriver set & some patience everything can be fixed or just replaced...easily.
Right from the box I take all mine apart & put new thermal grease(arctic silver) on the CPU & such. It is widely known that the manufactures, put very little if any at all on them. I don't care if I void the warranty. The cost of shipping & down time is worth me fixing it myself.

If anything goes wrong with these generally all you have to do is look at the reflection in the blank screen to see where the problem is. End user did something to screw it up. Lack of maintenance(not cleaning the fan...using spray air, is the worst). Spilling shit on it, or getting it wet without proper cleaning & drying times.
It normally becomes a "piece of shit" after the user installed one to many things that conflicted with each other, used too much RAM or was to graphic intensive & the fan(which was probably coated with dirt, hair, etc) could nt cool it down enough.

·
U.S. Navy Retired
4,800 Posts
I've got an Acer 4420, had for about 2 years and it runs windows 7 just fine, all I did was put more ram in it. It's actually faster than I thought it would be, was pleasantly surprised.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts