Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Administrator
136,918 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My ABS module went in my truck. The dealership says its $639.00 for a new one. I hate ABS to start with and told them to just take the warning light off. They tried pulling the fuse and that didn't help. Does anyone know what wire triggers the warning light or a way to by-pass the warning?

·
Administrator
136,918 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Its not under the hood. Its under the truck.. Unplugging it didn't work!! :evil: Kicking it didint work either :oops:

·
Registered
216 Posts
just cutt all the black wires behind the dash that should fix it

·
Registered
613 Posts
Monty,
Welcome to the new age automobile.
This is not a hard wire that runs from the ABS Module to the dash. This signal along with others, is communicated on a CAN bus. All vehicles today have some form of CAN Bus Communicatin, this is so all the modules in the vehicle communicate and share siganl information.
Basically a message is sent from the ABS Module to the IP (Instrument Panel), telling the IP that the ABS has a problem and to turn on the ABS lamp.

Well, just disconnect the ABS Module.
Ok here is what happens when you disconect the ABS Module.
When you take one of the modules out of the loop, some signals don't get shared. So when the vehicle is started, the system goes through a system check and finds there is no ABS module online, again, the IP turns on the ABS light to alert the driver there is a problem.

I've spent a couple (10) years working on Slip Control systems for a tier one supplier. I am very familar with the system on your truck.

I'm actually surprised this isnt covered under warranty, unless you have a ton of miles on it. Seems funny you lost a module too. When we put these through testing, we rarely lost a module.

You might want to contact me, I might be able to help.

I hope this helps
Sparky

·
Administrator
136,918 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks Sparky, Chuck L sent me a service bulletin from GM that says they have a programming error that seems to be triggering the ABS units off. It says not to replace the module since it wont help. Funny the dealer said they needed 600+ labor to correct the problem. The truck has almost 60,000 on it now so it is way past the warranty. :oops: I will see what comes out of this service bulletin.. Maybe it is as simple as a program change.. :smt102 I dont want the ABS at all to be honest. Seems on a nice summer day when you hit the brakes hard and go over a bump it almost feels as I put my foot to the floor on the gas.. So I best not have ABS IMO.. Not that Michigan has bumps in their roads :roll: :-D

·
Registered
613 Posts
Monty,
What you're experiencing with the bumps, is what’s called bumpy logic.
It’s kinda interesting logic and is probably one of the toughest parameters of ABS to trim.
See were you get with the bulletin, if it dead ends let me know.
Sparky

·
Registered
5,695 Posts
Monte,

This module should be a factory recall but it isn't, my Dad has replaced two of these on his truck less than 30,000 miles on the truck. The head service tech in the area says this is a very common item that the dealers service departments replace at an alarming click (or buzz in your case).

Tom Cowle

·
Registered
7,293 Posts
Monty,

be really carefully & take the dash appart so that you can get to the light bulb for the light, then take a 8 or 9 inch long screw driver & JAMB it down into the light smashing it into a billion pieces. now carefully put the dash back together again & your all fixed up. It worked for me on my Furd. LOL.

I know EXACTLY what you are talking about, my Dodge does the same thing. its not so bad when you are pulling a 8000Lb trailer, but when you have an empty bed.................... I HATE IT!!!!!!

Bob

1 - 17 of 17 Posts