Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,680 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
which web browser do you use for the net?

I've always used Internet Explorer but it got to where my computer would freeze and videos wouldn't play so I would have to reboot it.

so I switched to Google chrome and it runs fast and all video's play but can't figure out how to stop all the dang pop ups telling me I need to update various things.

i'm stilling using XP on a dell620 laptop.

any tips on what I need to do short of buying a new computer

·
Registered
8,489 Posts
Not sure if it'll run on that old of a computer, but Zorin OS9 with Mozilla Firefox runs faster and better than anything I've ever used. It would be worth your time to investigate. I've switched one over already, and will likely switch this one over soon.

·
Registered
1,404 Posts
Firefox with adblock plus. Install and run Malwarebytes to clean up all the crap IE let in over the years. I stopped using Chrome when I found out it would not/could not do updates on my machine(it's a work computer) Make sure you are using the latest version of Flash player also.

·
rodent aviator
6,996 Posts
Firefox with AdBlock Plus on an old Vista OS. Been kicking along for years without issue (other than that fucking Trojan Horse posted by that fucking spammer here last month). AVG Free for my antivirus and I had to run SpyBot to get rid of the fucking malware from the spammer. But ONE malware issue in 7 years is pretty damn good IMO. Would have been zero if I hadn't clicked that link promising nekkid wimmin.

·
Registered
21,094 Posts
Google and learn to use Linux. I use Ubuntu / Mint. No virus protection for about the last 10 years. I've used Redhat, SUSE, and a couple of others. Went to Mint after Ubuntu started with the Unity desktop. Firefox browser with Adblock

Linux is free, and if you do "it right" will run on older systems. Only time I use Winehozed 7 is when I "have" to like programming the HP EFI

·
Registered
14,964 Posts
It all depends on what I am doing. For regular web browsing IE works fine, of course that's on a win7 system with all updates and free AV from MS.

However my work requires me to use a web app called Life Fitness Portal (LF Oracle database that is kluegy as shit) that will not run well at all on IE so for this I use Firefox and it works MUCH better.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Firefox w/ AdBlock Plus. Works great on my XP notebook.

I would also use a different firewall than the windows crap that comes w/ XP. I use an older version of Kerio (free back then) but it's not for the non technical user. You have to have an understanding of TCP/IP to set it up properly.

·
Registered
1,404 Posts
It all depends on what I am doing. For regular web browsing IE works fine, of course that's on a win7 system with all updates and free AV from MS.

However my work requires me to use a web app called Life Fitness Portal (LF Oracle database that is kluegy as shit) that will not run well at all on IE so for this I use Firefox and it works MUCH better.
That's strange. I use Firefox for all my web browsing but there's a work website that has audio issues on FF so it's the only time I fire up IE. It's a GM website so maybe they'll recall it and make it work with FF....lol :)

·
Registered
31,712 Posts
What about IE with MSN?

·
Spiritual Gynocologist
80,189 Posts
Your machine has issues. You can try the free version of Iobit Advanced system Care, If that doesn't solve the issue Spyhunter 4 will but it's not free. Chrome is the correct browser. Install Ad Blocker Plus and Autopager & you will be better than ever. Use Windows Defender for antivirus.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts