Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
13,051 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a quick quistion for you folks. I have a hub that I need to press onto a shaft. its a pretty tight fit & I figured I would heat up the hub in the oven & then just press it onto the shaft. the deal here is that I figure I only have one whack @ it & want to know if its gonna go on or not. If it does not, Im throwing away about $150, if it goes it saves me $1000 so I have some motivation to get it right. LOL

the shaft is 1.504"

the hub is not the same size on one side as the other. the side thats going on the shaft first is larger than the other side by a little bit (well in my book its a little).

the side thats going on first is 1.509 & necks down to 1.475.

the question is if I heat it up, will the 1.475" side slide onto the 1.504 side? I can freeze the shaft to get it to shrink a bit.

Also, how hot does it need to be? they are both steel.

thanks guys

Bob

·
Registered
13,051 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
No bearing on the hub, but there is one in the shaft.

Its actually not a shaft. its a hollow tube that has a bearing pressed IN-to the end. its rather thin tubing that the bearing is pressed in compared to how thick & heavy the hub is.

I can take a file or something to the shaft & make it smaller. I think that would be simpler than trying to get the hub larger.

If it matters I could try to pop the bearing out of the tubing & see if I cant try to measure the thickness of the tubing.

thanks guys
Bob

·
Registered
13,051 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Please remember your dealin with a guy who deals in sixteenths of an inch, not thousands. anything smaller than a 16th & I have to call in the big guns. LOL.

Bob

·
Registered
13,051 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
HELLO?????? anyone out there?

how small does that press fit have to be to get on there? Im not worried about it slipping on the shaft, its keyed, but I dont want it to walk off of the shaft.

thanks
Bob

·
Registered
791 Posts
.029 is a mile............ if you have an inside mic set it to your target dia. and heat the hell out of it with a rosebud torch tip-keep checking it with the mic while heating. sounds like you need a lathe

·
Registered
2,411 Posts
we do this type of stuff all the time where I work. Even at .002, you get 1 shot to get it on there. Also remember, depending on the od. and type of material of the part you're putting on the shaft, be careful not to "overheat" the part. Up to a certain temp it will expand, after that the hole will start to actually close up.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts