Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My friend picked up these cylinder heads this week and had a question on these divots he found on all the exhaust valves. On all 8 exhaust valves between both heads, they have a mark like someone took a center punch and marked them. Would you guys run these like this? My friend has an email into the company he bought them from to see what their response is. I'd like to hear it from you guys as well. You can feel the divot with your fingernail. His concern is that with the heavy springs installed on the heads that the little divots will eat away at his the rocker arms. What's your opinion? Here's the pictures he emailed me last night.

Sensitive content, not recommended for those under 18 Show Content

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Why would they have done this to all the exhaust valves and not the intake valves? Are they using two different types of valves? Would this cause problems with rocker arm wear?

·
Registered
49,441 Posts
touch it with a file to make sure its flat, if it is, I wouldn't worry about it.

·
Registered
603 Posts
Looks like a test for material hardness. Just like mentioned above. The production method and/or material for exhaust valves stems may differ from what intakes go through. Manufacturer wants to know how hard the tip is after their heat treat process.

·
Registered
9,666 Posts
A jewelers file would touch those up nicely.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
What's strange though is the fact that he said they're all on the exhaust valves only. These are REV valves on both the intake and exhaust valves. Why wouldn't these same markings be on the intake valves?

·
Dinosaur Mechanic
1,612 Posts
The exhaust valves are in a hotter environment so somebody made sure the heat treat was OK. Run lash caps if your that worried about the tips, but I would run them.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts