Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
93,064 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Mustang Mike crashes at e-town

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

To all that are concerned,

I'M OKAY, but by the replays of the crash and the damage to the car, it could have been worst, I thank God for the full use and function of the safety equipment, the roll cage staying intact, the safety crew at E-town, and all of my friends who helped out. I will try to explain what happen....
This was an event where I was to receive an award that Dave Hance and E-town was giving to a selective group of racers during the shake down eliminations. My self, John Balinsky, John Noble, John Schoder, Vinny Budano and Mike Casstalona. I was not there to race, I can't make the 7.30 bump I told Dave Hance but he said bring the car , it would be nice to show the fans how fast you go on true 10.5 and a 289 so I said ok but the engine is out of the car but I will be there...this was Fri afternoon I talked to Pat and Randy hours before, in fact Randy was meeting me 3 am Sat to help me with some suspension mods for next year. The Plans were set with Randy, I would leave work at 5pm, get my trailer, drive 8 hours meet Randy and work with him on my suspension then drive back to NJ put the engine in and make the race Sun.....Too much to do by myself but not impossible for me ( I have done worst ) so I choose to put the engine together and drop it in. Now I'm a firm believer in signs, God telling you not to do something by making everything go wrong, ex snapping a bolt or stripping a nut, you know Murphy's Law. ...l finished building my engine 1pm Sat then drove to Larocca's shop where my trailer was, mind you no one is in the shop and I'm by myself but I'm determined, so I took the car out which was the 1st problem no one to push so with one foot out the window pushing on the trailer wall while steering this thing I did it. #2 the new jack that I bought stop working so I used the bottle neck jack from my truck. #3 didn't know the converter came out, I installed the engine then after nothing line up I saw the problem. after 2 hours of frustrations the engine finally went in. Now it's 1 am... #4 the drop light broke no more light and the car is too far from the trailer so now I'm working in the dark. #5 it's 2:30 am, I can't start the engine the neighbors will call the cops and a black man in that area at 2:30 in the morning not good! so I had to push the car by myself to the trailer. Here's where it gets tough, with no help and no winch how the hell was I going to get the car in. I did it with the straps, putting them together and pull the car by hand in. Yes it works, now it's too late to go home so I camp out at e-town. Pulled into the pits at 8 am but I cant start the car untill 10 am, that's the rules. #6 at 10 am I tried to start the engine and it would not start no spark, the car was at Kooks Last week getting the headers fixed and I thought that they welded on the car with the computer still in it ( I forgot to remove it ) after 1/2 hour of going crazy swapping stuff and giving up I just happened to look inside the car from the back glass I saw a harness unplugged, any normal racer who is by his or her self would have call it a day but no I'm Mustang Mike I must go on, the fans are watching. So I get it started then I check everthing while warming it up. 1st rd qual the car stands up on the bars then in mid-air smokes the tires I got off the pedal then got back in it slowly 8.62 at 173 Next pass made some ajustments this time it left well 1.27 with the back wheels, hit 2nd gear the front left wheel hike up, I knew I was on a good pass 5.18 @ 140 at the 1/8 and I usually pick up 42 on the back end. right at the 1000 ft I saw water spray the windshield then the back end started coming around I was in the right lane so I corrected it went back the other way and hit the back of the car on the wall, this is at about 180 something. When it hit, it shot me straight across to the other wall head on and this is the last thing I remember, don't know how I got out, only remember Big Daddy Dwayne Gutridge asking me questions that I could not answer. Sometimes the will in us racers overpowers horsepower and we keep fighting until we prevail, but when do we say when... Hope I didn't bore anyone! I will be back and better than ever but I need help if anyone can help please contact me 917-971-4259 John Balinski and Crazy Don Chassis works Has donated a 94 mustang and labor to do the chassis.

Thanks for all your support & the get well wishes
Mustang Mike

·
First Ten Original Member
1,426 Posts
Mike it's good to hear that your OK!
It sounds like the car took a pretty hard frontal hit.
I was wondering if you could post some pictures or send me some pictures of the car. I have viewed several cars after crashes and would like to learn a little more about where the weak areas of the fox bodies are. Please don't take this as being disrespectful, I just want to learn on how to make my own car safer!
Thanks man!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts