Yellow Bullet Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
5,045 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Had a special project to do for a major automobile manufacturer. Thought I'd share a couple of pics. The carbon piece is 14'-6" long, 30" wide, and 3/8" inch thick of solid carbon fiber. No filler, no core. Just carbon fabric and resin. It weighs under 100 pounds!!

And because I know you'll all want to know and SOMEONE will have to ask......that's a $9000 chunk of carbon fiber.

And we had to have a custom aluminum layup table made for this job. Table measures 16 feet by 3 feet.

·
Registered
5,045 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Clean shop for a place doing composite work
Thanks. We try to keep a very clean shop. Makes it easier to get more done in a day if you always have a clean work area.

But.....take a close look at that top pic. That is inside our cutting room. It's ALWAYS a mess. Check out the footprints in the carbon dust on the floor....lol. We try to keep all the dust and debris in that room only. Everywhere else is a semi-sterile environment. You can't make pretty, clear carbon parts if you have garbage floating around in the air and crap all over the floors.

·
Registered
5,761 Posts
So what will this $9000 hunk of carbon fiber be used for?

What would a piece of steel in these dimensions weigh in comparison?

·
Registered
3,779 Posts
Damn...... that is sweet

·
Registered
5,045 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So what will this $9000 hunk of carbon fiber be used for?

What would a piece of steel in these dimensions weigh in comparison?

It will be used to add strength to a moving part of a piece of manufacturing equipment in the plant. The moving part is sensitive to every ounce added to it.

An equal piece of aluminum is roughly double the weight, or about 200 pounds. An equal piece of mild steel is almost 3x the weight of the aluminum, making for about a 580 pound piece.

·
time to go racing yet ?
32,678 Posts
here i thought some executive is getting a new bar top ......... maybe you should start making conference room tables next ....

·
F.T.W. KILL EM ALL
10,841 Posts
Very cool Greg...interesting??? \m/

·
Registered
5,045 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Damn...... that is sweet
Thanks!

Interesting project, cool.
Thanks!!! And your trunk shipped to Cali yesterday.

here i thought some executive is getting a new bar top ......... maybe you should start making conference room tables next ....
No. but here's a funny story about counter tops. I had some company calling me the last few weeks asking about doing counter tops. First, they called me on a Thursday asking a bunch of really stupid questions, saying they needed 4 flat sheets shipped by Monday. It was a last-minute emergency and they were desperate. I told them I could work through the weekend and make that happen. They said they needed to get approval from the boss and they would call me back. Never heard back.

Then someone at the same company called me the next week on Friday and asked the same stupid questions like they had never talked to me before. This time they needed them shipped by Monday again. Again, they were desperate and it was an emergency......but this was a week later and they are asking me on a Friday afternoon to do 20 hours of work over the weekend.....in addition to the stuff I had already planned to work on that weekend. I said it would be tough, but I could do it. Again, they said they needed approval and would call right back. No call back.

So then, a week and a half later, the guy calls me on a Tuesday. Same guy I talked to the second time. Says they are REALLY desperate now. Need the four sheets in California by Friday that week. I'm like, what the fuck, dude. I probably could have done it, working through the night for two days, for a generous up-charge, but I had had it with these idiots. So, I told him we were at least two weeks out. He got pissy and said the last time I told him we could do it in two days. I said, "Yes, I did. But we've taken on several jobs since then, and now we don't have the time to take on your project immediately. You should have taken me up on it the last time you called." MAN, that felt GOOOOOD!!!! I hate it when everything is a hurry with some people. Yet, it's only a hurry because of their procrastination. I know it kinda makes me sound like a dick, but I AM a dick.....and I'm ok with that! :p

Very cool Greg...interesting??? \m/

Thanks???

·
time to go racing yet ?
32,678 Posts
i would have done the same thing , on the 1st phone call . i have delt with the same crap over the yrs , and over the past yr or so i just tell people 6-8 weeks out on the bigger jobs i do , usually i get them done in a few weeks , but i could care less anymore for the tire kickers ... actually for that matter i dont even answer the phone anymore , BUT , i stay plenty busy with the customers who appreciate what i have to offer .

·
Registered
5,045 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
i would have done the same thing , on the 1st phone call . i have delt with the same crap over the yrs , and over the past yr or so i just tell people 6-8 weeks out on the bigger jobs i do , usually i get them done in a few weeks , but i could care less anymore for the tire kickers ... actually for that matter i dont even answer the phone anymore , BUT , i stay plenty busy with the customers who appreciate what i have to offer .
Yeah, I'm plenty busy also. That's why I didn't feel bad about missing out on a $2-3k job. It was worth it to put them in their place. Though, they did seem sincere. The stupid questions weren't stupid tire kicker questions, they were just dumb like asking if they can get colored carbon fiber pieces made....and how quick could I do that. Which, if they weren't in such a hurry, would have been no problem, but in the time frame they said they were under each time, just not possible. It's a specialty material that needs to be ordered in.

·
Registered
917 Posts
I love telling people I won't build their motor on the side. It feels great to tell them no, or better yet FUCK NO! Took me 15 years to realize you can't help everybody and you need a life. I run all my customers through the shop. They get a better product, the shop makes $, and I don't have to work on shit at all hours of the night.

·
Registered
5,045 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I'm working on getting to the point where I'm not working all hours or willing to take on work that puts me in a bind. It's tough to say no, but I am getting better and better at it.

·
Registered
5,045 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Here are some new pics of the pieces installed. These are the 2-1/2" rips we made off that large chunk of carbon in the original post. 14 feet long and bonded onto these steel tubes for reinforcement.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.