Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
1995 Chevy Astro 4.3. Syptom: Won't charge. Friend had battery tested and they said it was fine. I checked with carbon pile load tester and it was junk. So he then tells me that they said alternator was bad will you change it. So I remove alternator and took to Autoblown as he asked me to do. I asked for alternator but I wanted this one tested. They tested and it showed good accross the board and I made them test it 3 times. So my friend says he will put it back on and put the new battery in and see whats going on. He calls back and says it's togethor, would I come take a look. I test charging and 12.0 volts, not charging. This is a 1 wire alternator, one main power, case ground. I have 12v on the brown wire at alternator and 0 coming out. Am I idiotic by thinking this alternator is bad. I checked the pin for corosion and pinched the female pin at regulator terminal. I know it tested good but if you have a good ground a 12v at alternator this phucker should charge right??? Other note he did change the starter, and i see that the power wire goes from alternator to starter B terminal. Seems like if he messed that up it wouldnt start. Theres o volts running at main power off back of alternator. Thanks for any help sorry for the run ons..

·
Registered
26,607 Posts
He doesnt have the main battery hooked up properly. It should read 12 volts (exact battery voltage) all the time, actually higher when charging. Maybe he left it off the starter?

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Starter has what looks like a blk, and a bl/blk according to Chiltons the black to s with the alt. wire and the bl/blk to s terminal on starter. It starts fine and the wires look routed proper at starter. Has power to brn. wire at single alternator plug, and 12 volts running at that wire as schematic says it should, alternator is grounded to case i voltage dropped it and it is fine. So what im asking is if this 1 wire alternator has power to it and its grounded should there not be power at back main power lug on the alternator????? If the engines running of course?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts