Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
625 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a ford 9inch out of a 59 Ford with moser 31 spline axles and am on the fence weither or not to upgrade to 33 splines. Thought i would ask around here to see what some of you guys have and how far you have pushed it.

Current setup:
1982 Regal (3150lbs w/ driver)
364cu.in. LQ9, 11.0:1 SCR
Trickflow heads, 240/244 .613 .596 109LSA + 2 cam
Vic Jr intake, 850 holley carb, 91octane pump gas
Coan 5600rpm 8" stall
Powerglide w/ 1.76 1st gear, TCI transbrake
Full spool w/ 4.56s
Cheater slicks

·
Registered
636 Posts
There are only 2 ways to know when to upgrade.

1) pull the axles & look for twist. If you don't see any or can't tell,
put a straight line down the axle & check it after running some, hard hooking passes.

2) wait 'til they brake.

length, usage & age of axles must be taken into account.

Remember, to upgrade axles you must also upgrade spool / posi.

BTW; If you have a posi unit, depending on what it is, it might give out before the axles.

:)

·
Registered
625 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys!

I guess we will stay with the 31 spline mosers for now, wonder how good the stock steel gbody driveshaft is??

·
Registered
11,165 Posts
Thanks guys!

I guess we will stay with the 31 spline mosers for now, wonder how good the stock steel gbody driveshaft is??
How much power you planning on making?
The stock steal driveshaft isn't going to hold up to much of anything.
If you're worried about 31 spline axles and are going to use that stock driveshaft we need to have a conversation....seriously....

·
Bracket racer
13,290 Posts
Find a driveshaft out of a early-mid 90s regular cab S10 or S10 Blazer. It tapers from 2.75" to almost 3.5"....only drawback is you have to use a goofy ass u-joint on the back the tapers from a GM "3R" pattern to whichever yoke you have.

·
Registered
11,165 Posts
If I'm judging your power level correct... you can have a MS 3" made for reasonably cheap, and that will work fine. I'm still using mine, but I'm starting to get into critical speed territory. If you have the money I'd suggest the 3.5" CM.

A friend had a combo similar to yours and he used his factory d.s. It lasted a half a season before it pretzeled and took out his tranny, the floor and cut down a new slick.

Don't risk it, please.

·
Registered
5,114 Posts
if you bust the driveshaft it will usually kill the tranny and probably get the converter with it.
its insurance to at least have a decent shaft in the car with your power, IMO.
ive been rocking 31 splines since 1999 and they are still straight as an arrow.

·
Registered
371 Posts
I ran a full weight regal at 10.20's off the t-brake with the stock 10 bolt rear end, 33 spline spool an axles....stock driveshaft with new u-joints, for 5 years with nary a problem......as a previous poster suggested, I woul paint a line down the axles if you alreay have them out, so you can visually check for twist in the future....Good Luck.

·
Registered
2,812 Posts
you and i have similar combo's, except i'm about 250lbs heavier. i have 31 spline axles in my car. i pulled them two weeks ago to put a different gear in (i'm running th400, and most of my passes have been with 4.11's) and they're still as straight as when i bought them.

i've been 1.49-1.52 pretty regularly. car goes 124+mph

·
Registered
1,787 Posts
Ive got stock resplined axles that are 31 spline. Pulled them to change gear and they are twisting. Just a little. Gonna run this summer till they brake or till seasons over to get some moser or yukon axles. Ive got a 400 hp small block, glide w/ brake, 3500 conv, 4:56 gear, 28"tall slick, in a 3000#+ s10 blazer. Runs 12:30's. I would atleast upgrade to a 3 1/2" milds steel drive shaft with some splicer u joints.

·
Registered
625 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
The driveshaft currently in the car is a 100% stock steel unit from an 82 regal. Its what was used when we used to run the car on the 406ci SBC setup (went mid 11's @ 114mph with the same trans and rear that we are using now).

·
Registered
45 Posts
Never an issue with my 31 spline / spool, pulling 1.4x 60's with 3800lb car.

Moser rates them for 800 rwhp if I remember correctly.

Car makes 478/455 through heavy street wheels - planning to put a 150 plate kit on it

If I ever upgrade it will be to 35 spline.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts