Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all - I fell into a 1999 Ford Ranger and am thinking about a drag only truck - swapping in a 302 for bracket racing. Just doing some research right now.
Anyone running a Ranger? Any input would be appreciated - thanks.

·
Registered
3,610 Posts
An sbf can be shoehorned in there but the swap is quite a bit tougher and more involved than an sbc into an S10. If it was easy there would be a lot more V8 Rangers out there.

·
Registered
1,857 Posts
Look up a 98 up explorer v8 swap into a 98 up ranger. Ford went to the a-arm front in 98. The frames are close or basically the same. This will give you a better idea I believe the swap is easier than the 97 down. I’ve not done this swap personally on a 98 up, but I have a friend wanting to.

·
Registered
1,857 Posts
Also look up the ranger station if you haven’t already. That site should have all the information you need.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I'm building a 302 for a friend's boy that are doing a 302 ranger. Not sure what or where they got parts but I can ask. I do know he said the got a special oil pan.

·
Registered
352 Posts
I am building one right now, 98 with a sbf in it, but I am also running an aftermarket block and Holley Dominator ecu, they bolt in very easy but headers are bitch. I am having custom made right now and they are not cheap. I will never get anything for the truck but it will be fun to surprise some people with it.

·
Registered
10,529 Posts
I put a 5.0L in my Ranger using a stock Fox body rear sump. The oil filter adapter has to be a remote that is thin with outlets to the side to clear the steering box. Heater can be tossed or the fiberglass/plastic box needs reshaping and weight distribution is awful. Mine was 1895lbs front and 985lbs rear with the battery up front but with a mini starter, aluminum rad and mini alternator. If you set the engine rearward through the firewall you can fix that although the single cab gets a bit cozy.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts