Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
671 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Getting ready to help a friend install a new trans in his truck and my question is would it be better to install with converter in the trans first or bolt it to the plate thats mounted to the crank???
Thanks for any input

·
Registered
8,477 Posts
Getting ready to help a friend install a new trans in his truck and my question is would it be better to install with converter in the trans first or bolt it to the plate thats mounted to the crank???
Thanks for any input
put it in the trans

·
Registered
2,107 Posts
Add a qt of trany fluid in the converter first. Then put the converter in the trany, fully seat. You might have to spin it and work it, sometimes they don't want to fully align themselfs up.

·
Registered
671 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the info guys.. First dodge for me I only work on Fords & GMs that brake... Dodge is a bit different to work on

·
Registered
566 Posts
make sure and clean out the back of the crank with a scotchbrite pad as well as the pilot of the converter. once you have the transmission joined to the block, make sure the converter spins freely.
and last, get 2 bolts started and then pull the converter flush with the flexplate and bolts center in the holes before tightening. this along with the cleaning of the crank and converter pilot will help prevent side loading of the converter to the pump bushing. gl

·
Registered
7,204 Posts
Lay the flexplate on the converter, match the bolt holes, and make marks you can see from both sides. Mopar converter bolt pattern is offset and all 4 bolts will only line up 1 way. 3 will fit 2 ways, and 2 will fit 1 way. Guess how I know that?:rolleyes:

·
Registered
113 Posts
Seeing its the first dodge you have done theres 1 helpfull thing you might want to know.Mopar converters come in 90 degree and offset bolt patterns.there should be a stamp on the converter saying its a 90 degree,that meaning it can be bolted up in any position,just like a gm or ford.If you are unsure you can measure from center to center of the bolt holes of the converter.If its offset put the dot on the converter as close to the oblong hole in the flexplate.That will be the correct place for all the holes to line up.Its more of a time saver thing,if you dont its not a big deal you will just have to keep starting the bolts and spinning the engine over to find the right spot where all the holes line up.

·
Registered
566 Posts
99 should be a 90* and when they went with the 90*, they got rid of the dot

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
a 99 is a 90* converter. you are also going to need a porto power to spread the fraim rails a bit to remove the cross member.

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
just make sure you pull the tranny up with a hand ratchet...then the first thing you do is make sure the converter will spin freely if it dont you screwed up..the little tabs on the pump gear will break real easy so be carefull..if it's engaged all the way in the pump you'll have no problem...

·
Registered
8,477 Posts
really ? shit i had to use a god damn come-a-long to pull it in along with a 10lb sledge. was the WORST part of the job, plus i was on my back so that didnt help.
It is a tight fit..... you gota slide it real square in the frame rails its like a -.050 fit its still needs a tapy tap, don't know about a 10 lb sledge but hey you made it happen. ;)

·
Registered
566 Posts
Don't forget to reverse flush the cooler lines.
unless the converter drain back checkball is removed, the lines will only flush one way.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts