Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
467 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody ever done one? I'm a diy guy with a list of credentials, but never back halved a car before. I have the work sheets from Alstons but am not sure how much I really need to cut out of the car. Its already set up with rear drive but has irs. By the looks of it, I could damn near weld the forward link brackets the rear footwell without using frame rails.

·
Registered
5,340 Posts
Use frame rails...you'll wish you had later if you do not do so to begin with. Makes everything easier, getting shocks the correct length, getting ride height down, etc. It really is not to difficult. Measure the wheel base, and then when you buy the kit, it should tell you how far in front of the rear axle centerline to cut the sheetmetal out.

·
Registered
467 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have been thinking about the Chassis Engineering pro street 3x2 4 link custom frame with the Fab9 axle. Is there anyone else I should look to for this? I am getting to make final measurements and order. I am looking forward to a live axle and a fuel tank that isn't under the driveshshaft, but more importantly having instant center will be great.

·
Registered
3,031 Posts
Can't go wrong with the Chassis Engineering stuff. And, the tech support and service after the sale will make your life alot easier doing this yourself. I have a customer doing a back half that he bought from them, and we are doing the things he can't do.. like narrow the rear and such. He says they are very patient with his questions and take the time necessary to help him understand. Call them and ask for Clayton. They will steer you in the right direction, and they will also make custom parts to fit your stuff at a very reasonable cost if your car needs something unique.

·
Registered
467 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I spoke with Mike today. I think it is figured out. Eliminator 2 setup. Being this is my first install, I really just want to take the time to thoroughly think this through step by step before I start cutting. I plan to retain a rear seating area consisting of 2 buckets. I always thought it would be fun to have a 4 seater pro street car. Not worried so much about it being a drag car, but I want to be able to click off some high 8 sec passes at will. I was emailed some blueprints, so its time to start studying.

·
Registered
467 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
What should I do if the axle was more forward and not centered in the opening? Clayton, you mentioned something about some people run the axle more forward anyhow. Why not centered?

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
I don't remember telling you that, but we center the rear in the opening. Make the wheel base the same as factory. The longer the wheel base the smoother the car will be. We never move the wheels foward.

·
Registered
467 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The stock wheel base is 112.5" and the center of the wheel is 2" forward in the opening. Factory. I would have to make it a 114.5" wheelbase to correct for this. I'm sorry Clayton, that may have been the "other" company I spoke to.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts