Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
6,554 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my truck decided to not start and the fact that Im at home with no tools and its cold/wet out' I figured Id see what you guys have for suggestions.

Truck in question is a 96 C1500 5.0L It cranks over and I can hear the fuel pump turn on as well as smell fuel so Im leaning toward ignition issues. The odd part is, it will crank over and every few seconds it bogs or kicks back like its cranking against too much advance or timing thats jumping around. Anyone run across similar symptoms that could single out a few things to check to save me some time. I wish I could just plug in a laptop to look at the sensor values :-damnit

·
Registered
280 Posts
I have one right now doing the same thing, I checked fuel pressure it was 60 psi
I checked the spider in the Intake, cam sensor, ignition control module.
Replaced distributor, pulled front cover off the engine and checked timing.

The only thing now that I think it could be is a bad pmc, but you have to vin match those and I don't have the scan tool to be able to do that.

This one was driving down the road and shut off and has not started since

·
Registered
6,554 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I should note that it also did it twice earlier today when I went to grab lunch. It cranked, bogged, cranked, bogged and then fired up. Drove fine and now it wont start at all.

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
Just a hunch had one do the same thing and damn fuse was corroded,figured it out when I pulled and checked fuses. May not be your problem but worth a look.

·
Registered
390 Posts
It needs a tune up. Plugs, wires, cap and rotor. Pull the fuel pump relay, hold it to the floor and crank for a while. Install relay and crank till it starts.

·
REBUILDING
10,877 Posts
All those year trucks will tell you the code/malfuncton by blinking a code thru the "Check Engine light". Even my 92 blinked me the code when my fuel pump went out a while back. Use a piece of wire to jump the two terminals under the steering column. Look it up on the Internet, on how to do it and/or Google it or ask here once it blinks the malfunction code. It should be stored in the trucks computer.

·
Registered
931 Posts
I have had those trucks run great when they were parked and not start the next day, those caps are notorious for that problem.

·
Registered
147 Posts
If not the cap, those ignition systems are NOTORIOUS for bad coil wires. There's a shit ton of juice running through that wire. Replace it even if it looks good. You may be surprised. Get a junkyard one of you have to, just to test it.

·
Registered
91 Posts
I have had the same problem with mine and found it to be a relay in the fuse box in the dash. I believe its labeled "start". Hope this helps

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
these are known for having soft distributor gears. mine was running like crap and thats what we found. if you remove the cap try turning the rotor back and forth. if it moves some you need a new gear, the teeth on mine were actually sharp and would've broke off i am sure in another 1k or so. something to check.

·
Tellin' it like it is
9,800 Posts
Check the oil and coolant for milkshake. Those trucks are also notorious for intake gasket failure and hydrolocking the motor.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts