Yellow Bullet Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
out of work hair dresser
8,341 Posts
There isn't anything non-streetable about the 9inch. If you use a spool in a 9inch, you'll just have an ill tempered, tire eating street car.

If you use a spool in a 12 bolt you'll have an ill tempered, tire eating street car.

Moser and Strange both offer a 12 bolt for the late model F-body and the torque arm mounts are cast into the housing. Easy and clean swap.

The 9 inch housings do not have provisions for the torque arm cast in the housing. Instead there are adapters welded to the housing and an adapter bracket for the torque arm. They are ill fitting, smack and rub the underside of the car constantly and overall look like shit.

Yes, the 9 inch is stronger but you'll be hard pressed to tear up the Moser or Strange 12 bolt.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I've been running a Moser 9" for 2 and a half years on the street, works fine. The Moser unit is a direct bolt in replacement, looks and works perfect. I don't have any issues with the torque arm bracket at all (or anything else with the rearend). My buddy had a Moser 12 bolt, full spool, and went through 3 sets of gears (shearing them off when launching). He recently switched to a Moser 9" and loves it. Do a search on LS1tech, plenty of people have broken 12 bolt rears, I say get a 9".

·
out of work hair dresser
8,341 Posts
My buddy had a Moser 12 bolt, full spool, and went through 3 sets of gears (shearing them off when launching). He recently switched to a Moser 9" and loves it. Do a search on LS1tech, plenty of people have broken 12 bolt rears, I say get a 9".
1200 RWHP--1.20 sixties--low 8's 1/4 mile Moser 12 bolt.

RPM inc.

http://www.spohn.net/videos/

900 RWHP (street) 1.30 sixties--mid 5's 1/8 (high 8's 1/4?) Moser 12 bolt.

5.85 @ 70% of N2O (been running current gear for 2 years)

http://host.stangsource.com/Bobz/Camaro585.wmv

·
out of work hair dresser
8,341 Posts
I'm running 275/60/15 MT Radials.

I'm guessing the cars mentioned above are automatics, and they are probably not off-the-shelf 12 bolts either.
We're running 275/60/15 MT DR's also.

The cars are automatics with T-brakes and 2 steps.

"Off the shelf"---define this please.

Standard Moser 12 bolt rear housing for 4th gen F-body. Moser 33 spline axles, Moser steel spool, Moser gear (nothing special and no exotic metals of any kind). No added bracing or supports to housing. Does this qualify as "off the shelf"?

·
out of work hair dresser
8,341 Posts
This means dick to me and a lot of other people and the reasons are:

Too many years experience in building GM drag cars that require GM (no Ford/Mopar style parts). If one is to build a car within' the rules of a certain class and the before mentioned rules apply, one builds the car in accordance to the rules and it doesn't matter if the intended 7 second 1/4 mile passes or 10's.

Is a Ford 9inch stronger than a 12 bolt? Albeit it marginally, the answer is yes. Can I show you how to chunk a Strange pinion support out the front of Ford Nodular housing with an automatic? YES!

General consensus on general discussion boards such as LS1tech are to be taken with a grain of salt. 80% of the posters leaning one way or the other on any given poll or discussion are merely leaning on something they read on the internet. Most have no experience what-so-ever and/or is merely spanning off of what their buddy or neighbor did last week.

Rather than just posting links to what you read on the internet, post a summary of your personal hands-on experiences. Before you speak, I will warn you that there are guys on this very board running 8 second times on 8.5 10 bolt rear end so I suggest you know what you're talking about. ;)

·
Registered
51 Posts
I've been running a Moser 9" for 2 and a half years on the street, works fine. The Moser unit is a direct bolt in replacement, looks and works perfect. I don't have any issues with the torque arm bracket at all (or anything else with the rearend). My buddy had a Moser 12 bolt, full spool, and went through 3 sets of gears (shearing them off when launching). He recently switched to a Moser 9" and loves it. Do a search on LS1tech, plenty of people have broken 12 bolt rears, I say get a 9".

Thanks, I said ^this^ on page one. That is MY personal experience.

He's asking about a 4th gen f body, I have seen a lot of 12 bolts in 4th gen f bodies break. That is just one instance.

·
out of work hair dresser
8,341 Posts
Fair enough.

I get a little irritated when it comes to the 9inch vs 12 bolt thing is all. And I feel the "vs." threads are ridiculous and full of hearsay. I felt you were going into a "vs." discussion but you weren't so were all good there. :)

Please don't ask me to go look stuff up on LS1tech. I've been drag racing GM 12 bolts and Ford 9inch rear ends longer than the idea of something called the 'internet' was thought of.

Again, I have nothing against a 9inch. I just don't like the cheesy, poorly engineered "adapter" for the torque arm. It works and works well after it has clearanced the left back of the tunnel on it's own. I just like cleaner engineering and installs..........but that is a personal preferance.

Rock on Termy.

·
Registered
51 Posts
The torque arm bracket fits perfectly under my car, doesn't rub or hit anything. It also fits under my buddy's car without any problem as I put both rears in each car. I wasn't telling you to do a search on LS1tech, I was telling the person who started this thread. I have been drag racing longer than LS1tech has been around as well :)

1 - 20 of 28 Posts