Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Soo, ive been driving myself crazy, and i havent made up my mind. About a year ago i found and purchased a black 92 mustang coupe (SSP) ex cop car outta florida ....black with grey interior..bone stock...........i knew that it had a rebuilt title but when i drove allllll the way down to complete the deal i found that the frame rails forward of the shock towers were slightly bent on both sides......i can tell that the front fenders and bumper were replaced....and that the whole car looked great as far as paint goes.............. i handed over 5 grand and drove it home................i took it to my chassis/builder...and we found that under the car on the actual frame rails....they were perfect....all measurements diagonally were great.....seems the only damage was front end hit......................my problem is that ive got a 1200 HP turbo setup in my other mustang which is a convertible.....NO CAGE...yikes!!!...............and i was planning to switch EVERYTHING from the vert to the coupe to be safer and lighter, and put the stock 5.0 back in the vert.............................Would you guys do that with a car that has a rebuilt salvage title????????................ive been thinking that alot of people dump thousands into classics or junkyard cars and turn them into showcars.....many of which probably dont even have titles much less a clean one. Im sure that im not the only guy out there with this dilemma........what do you guys think?

·
Banned
14,510 Posts
How are you investing $30,000 if you already have the drivetrain?

Tom

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
I'm not a mustang guy by any means, but you bought it knowing it was a rebuilt title, then suspected the frame rails were bent just from observation..... and still paid 5k for it? Luckily they weren't, but still just seems crazy to me. Good luck, don't really have any advice to offer.

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
well do you plan on selling it after you get done swapping the motor? if not i dont see what the problem is.

·
Registered
231 Posts
if you are going to cage it and race it why does it matter as long as the sub frame is good you are going to cut on the car putting the cage in

·
Registered
221 Posts
do what you want to..... It will be the right decision....

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
Won't matter if your just building it too race and furthermore if and when you go to resell it if the rest of the build/car is nice and done properly most guys won't care what the title reads, if I was you I'd start building:p

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
How are you investing $30,000 if you already have the drivetrain?

Tom
It was more of a "transfer" of the investment ive already paid for...so basically the car with the rebuilt title would have all the go fast stuff that the convertible now wears.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I'm not a mustang guy by any means, but you bought it knowing it was a rebuilt title, then suspected the frame rails were bent just from observation..... and still paid 5k for it? Luckily they weren't, but still just seems crazy to me. Good luck, don't really have any advice to offer.

I know that youre not a mustang guy.........because coupe's, especially nicer looking black cars with a stock motor are HARD to find......which is why i drove so far to get it......and was willing to pay 5k for it.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Build it. The title will have no effect on the value of a race car anyway. I dealt with literally hundreds of rebuilt cars when I was an auto body instructor at a technical college. The only time the title really matters is if you are going to try and sell the vehicle. It gets even worse if you are going to try and trade the vehicle in to a dealer. Neither of those should matter to you. You dont build a race car because it is going to increase the value of the car.

One of the guys above mentioned that insurance companies dont like them, but I have had several of them insured and never had a problem. If the insurance company tries to say they are paying off less than the corrct value ask them if they gave you a cheaper premium. I would check your insurance company to make sure, but it shouldnt be a problem. Build it and have fun with it!

·
HeadCaseRacing
11,611 Posts
get a vin tag with a good title and be done with it.

I bought a 2001 stang last month with no title for 500. Will be next car im building for to sell

·
Registered
1,936 Posts
a 92 mustang only worth maybe $2000.00 to a bank or insurance co. any way so who cares? besides if you resell it do you really expect to get out of it what you spent to build it? that raley if ever happens. Its just a body, use it! or if your worried its not worth any thing PM me your adress and I comes pick it up and take it off your hands.

·
Registered
4,138 Posts
If strut towers back is straight, roll with it. If they are slightly tweaked, put it on a frame rack first.

Prior salvage isn't going to affect its value as a racecar. There are plenty of theft recovery, flood, wrecked, etc cars that have been turned into racecars.

Here in Mo most insurance companys won't insure a salvage title if that matters you may want to look at you location first.

I have yet to find an insurance company that won't insure salvage title. I own/have owned several with salvage titles. No problems.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
a 92 mustang only worth maybe $2000.00 to a bank or insurance co. any way so who cares? besides if you resell it do you really expect to get out of it what you spent to build it? that raley if ever happens. Its just a body, use it! or if your worried its not worth any thing PM me your adress and I comes pick it up and take it off your hands.

i will definately let you know if i decide to part ways with it..:confused:

1 - 20 of 23 Posts