Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just wanted to see what the consensus is. I am a huge fan of E85 but I wouldn't be able to use it if I was to drive more than a couple hours from my house. Locally, its everywhere but I would like to race at a couple 1/4 mile strips that are about 2-2.5 hrs away. Two other strips that are about 5 hrs away. With that said....

Two identical engines, cars, set up...can I do the same ET with 91 that I could on E85? If not, how much difference? My goal is only sub 6 in the 1/8 consistently and daily driven with around 20mpg.

Car 1969 Chevelle, will be 3400lbs, great working suspension.

Engine 5.3 stock bottom end, with arp rod bolts, ring gap opened up to .028 on the top ring, Cam XER273 224/230 .581/.588 on a 114, stock heads for now with Patriot Gold Dual valve springs to .650, arp head studs, edelbrock throttle body intake with tall edelbrock elbow

Turbo's twin pt62's with stock wiring harness and ECM using hptuners, (air to air cooler and meth injection if I don't use E85) 40mm wastegates

Basically, can this be done without too much headache on the 91 or will E85 give me my only chance? I am wanting to run E85 but several are saying I can accomplish this on 91 and then I could still drive it anywhere. Figured I would ask some opinions.

Fuel System: Currently running A1000 but figured with the E85 I would have to run dual fuel pumps. Not sure if I would need to if I run 91?

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The reason I ask to begin with is that I figure the bottom end will be the limiting factor. Therefore, even though you can do much more with E85 the bottom end may not be able to take the extra. If that is the case and I can still reach my goals with the 91 octane but more maxing it out then they may be the better route to go so I can "drive" to more tracks. Eventually, I could always drive on 91 octane and race on E85 on down the road.

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
You could get a flip switch pcm from Frost or others and switch between tunes. Or swap pcms and take your E85 along to the track.

I run E85 all the time in my street car. Sometimes tricky to find but its worth it for the high octane and cooling properties. Seems to help engine temps too, I have a smallish radiator, never gets hot.

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You could get a flip switch pcm from Frost or others and switch between tunes. Or swap pcms and take your E85 along to the track.

I run E85 all the time in my street car. Sometimes tricky to find but its worth it for the high octane and cooling properties. Seems to help engine temps too, I have a smallish radiator, never gets hot.
I love the stuff. My Big Block 498 with a very small fan never got over 180 no matter how hot it was outside. That stuff is crazy. The main thing is that I am stuck to keeping it local. I am thinking about running 91 octane but just racing on race fuel when I get to the tracks for now. This may be the simplest and safest way.

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I am going to run a meth injection but it still wouldn't hurt to use a better fuel source when racing. I think on the street the 91 and meth will be fine. We actually have 93 but you can't get it everywhere and that was why I said 91. Figure you can pretty much get that anywhere in the midwest.

·
Registered
682 Posts
Ever see what happens when you forget to fill your meth tank or a pump fails?
Nothing happens if its setup properly with proper failsafe's and if you tune properly using it for added cooling like its made for and not replacing fuel.

That being said, go E85, you won't regret it.

·
Registered
14,630 Posts
E85 can take way more boost then 91.

I run 21 psi and 20.5* max spark on pump E85 and make 800ish to the tire on mine. I have at least 4-5 psi to turn it up without issue if I chose.

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Dang...this is makeing it tough....Okay, if I was to go ahead and stay with E85. What would be the max injector I could go and still use the factory wiring harness and not have to add any additional $300 stuff to make it work. Again, my goal is around 850-900rwhp. Thanks.

·
Registered
2,444 Posts
Ever see what happens when you forget to fill your meth tank or a pump fails?
Ever see what happens when you forget to put oil in the pan? Or the oil pump fails? WTF

come on guys! Meth injection is here to stay. If you can get E85....DO it. You wont look back.

·
Registered
3,191 Posts
it's weird that people who run e85/98 talk about the advantages of the car running cooler. for some reason, it never had that effect on my car. it always ran on the warm side running gas, e85, and e98. no temp change at all for me. :(

·
Registered
14,630 Posts
But you need a bigger set of balls.
-CPRsm :razz:
:finga: :finga:

it's weird that people who run e85/98 talk about the advantages of the car running cooler. for some reason, it never had that effect on my car. it always ran on the warm side running gas, e85, and e98. no temp change at all for me. :(
ECTs? or IATs?

·
Registered
14,630 Posts
interesting - since combustion chamber temps are 200-300* lower as I understand it on E85, it logical that your ECTs should be lower. I never had my car on gas so I can't compare.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts