Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 904 with the low 1st gear and this trans was built 2 years ago.The clutches and bands are the A&A kevlar ones.My question is this....the trans started slipping in 2nd gear so I took the valve body out(cheetah manual,reverse pat)and checked the band apply strutt and it was ok.The band was out of adjustment so I re-adjusted it.I snugged up the bolt and the backed it out 2 turns and tightened the jamb nut.The trans does'nt slip now but how long will this fix last?There was some DNA evidence in the pan.No big chuncks of band though,just some band material ground up.Thanks,Bob Lemay,osca 10.90 racer.

·
Super Moderator
19,350 Posts
DNA in the pan kinda sucks. I would assume it may have a high ratio rocker arm and it doesn't take much band material wear to cause the adjuster to go to 3 or more turns at which time the servo bottoms out in its travel. If this is the case you may be good for awhile. If the band is falling apart, you will know fairly soon.
Just keep checking the adjustment and see if it changes, if it does ,pull the trans before you wreck the drum.

Take care ,Hutch

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It has a 4.2 ratio arm in it.The drum looked ok when I checked the band apply strutt.Is the worst thing that can happen a damaged drum?I have a spare parts tranny.....and 904's are no good so people give them to me :lol: Thanks,Bob

·
Super Moderator
19,350 Posts
The 904 as its called or really a 999 is a great piece. I have had great luck with them with a wide rigid band in 3500 lb cars running mid 10's with no real wear problems.
If the band wears out the drum will get destroyed and of course cast dust will go everywhere which is the most damaging.

Take care ,Hutch

1 - 5 of 5 Posts