Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bought a car that came with a Aerospace components 9 inch 3rd member case with a spool and 40 spline gun drilled axles.

I was told by the seller who built the car 15 years ago that the axles were Strange and now that I pulled the 3rd member and axles the axles don't say anything on them with no serial numbers etc. I was told by a couple of racing friends that they are moser axles.

I have sent pics of the axles to mosers so hopefully we can identify who makes them....

Ok, so why I am trying to figure out the cut on the axles is I'd like to put a Strange Ultra Case in the car and use these axles if they are correct.

I don't know the make of the spool and since I already sold the AeroSpace Components 3rd member with the spool I'm not sure what the spool was.

My questions to you is can I put moser axles in a strange ultra case if I change the spool or is this not possible? The axles I have look like nice pieces but If I have to buy strange axles for the new Ultra Case I will. Have any of you ran into this problem and what are the options? Thank you all. Manny

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Strange axles will be a Purple-ish color. Mosers and others are silver metal colored.
A Moser 40 spline and a Strange 40 spline are the same in their engagement. What is important about the spool is that a Moser spool is not splined all the way across whereas the Strange is. What I am saying is, is that the length of the axles is important and has to work with the overall width of the splines in the spool. The axles don't know what center section you have in there. There needs to be at least 1" of axle to spool engagement and I personally prefer more if possible. I just swapped out all Moser 35spline stuff for Strange 40 Spline stuff. It is possible that the 40 spline Mosers go all the way across. Not sure, but if they do, it won't matter which one you use. Pay attention to the counter bores depth if there is any.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Strange axles will be a Purple-ish color. Mosers and others are silver metal colored.
A Moser 40 spline and a Strange 40 spline are the same in their engagement. What is important about the spool is that a Moser spool is not splined all the way across whereas the Strange is. What I am saying is, is that the length of the axles is important and has to work with the overall width of the splines in the spool. The axles don't know what center section you have in there. There needs to be at least 1" of axle to spool engagement and I personally prefer more if possible. I just swapped out all Moser 35spline stuff for Strange 40 Spline stuff. It is possible that the 40 spline Mosers go all the way across. Not sure, but if they do, it won't matter which one you use. Pay attention to the counter bores depth if there is any.

This is very helpful information and thank you for passing this along. If its confirmed moser axles is their a specific spool I need to have inside the strange ultra case? It sounds like the axles are only different by depth into the spool? So a 40 spline axle has the same design as any 40 spline axle it only depends on how much material is in the spool and you want at least one inch? You are giving me hope that these axles might work..... I hope to hear some more experiences from this. Thanks!

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
If you have the same housing and axles you practically cannot go wrong with a spool that is splined all the way across.
I have one with a Strange spool and one with a Mittler Bros. spool. Both are splined end to end. The Moser 35 spline spool I just took out had over 1" of counter bore on one end and 1/2"-ish on the other.

Mark Williams 40 splines might be different. Some of their stuff has unique pressure angles on the splines. I don't know the deets on all that.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If you have the same housing and axles you practically cannot go wrong with a spool that is splined all the way across.
I have one with a Strange spool and one with a Mittler Bros. spool. Both are splined end to end. The Moser 35 spline spool I just took out had over 1" of counter bore on one end and 1/2"-ish on the other.

Mark Williams 40 splines might be different. Some of their stuff has unique pressure angles on the splines. I don't know the deets on all that.

Thank you for adding. I am using the same housing and axles as of now. I have let strange know about these axles and they are unsure if I can use a strange ultra case and strange spool even though they are both 40 spline.

I'm trying to figure out what will be the correct spool for the ultra case and the moser axles if it's even possible....

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Whatever bearing size the case is, get the appropriate size spool and bearings.
Strange or Moser will not tell you their stuff will work with someone else's stuff. They want you to buy all Strange or all Moser. It's a very competitive industry. That being said, sometimes you have to trim/grind a case for clearance. I just put a Strange 9-1/2" Pro Gear in a Moser case and the pinion gear was hitting near the face. About 2 minutes with a die grinder fixed that. Same thing could happen with a Strange or Mark Williams.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Whatever bearing size the case is, get the appropriate size spool and bearings.
Strange or Moser will not tell you their stuff will work with someone else's stuff. They want you to buy all Strange or all Moser. It's a very competitive industry. That being said, sometimes you have to trim/grind a case for clearance. I just put a Strange 9-1/2" Pro Gear in a Moser case and the pinion gear was hitting near the face. About 2 minutes with a die grinder fixed that. Same thing could happen with a Strange or Mark Williams.
Thank you for sharing your experience. What are the reasons for going with a 9 1/2 gear over the 9 inch? I'm assuming its stronger given the same material? Are their any other differences, , pros or cons? Thanks!

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Thank you for sharing your experience. What are the reasons for going with a 9 1/2 gear over the 9 inch? I'm assuming its stronger given the same material? Are their any other differences, , pros or cons? Thanks!
They dont cost a ton more than a 9", fits the 9" hardware (might need a little grinding on the housing but no big deal), and they get about 2x to 3x the life of a 9" gear set. They actually turn the OD of the 9.5" ring gear down to ~9.25" so it will squeeze into the aftermarket housings. It might take a bit more work to get one into a stock 9" housing. Mine went into a Moser M9 without any grinding. It was close though! Got to hold yer mouth just right. lol

·
133 Posts
Mark Williams offers a template to guide on how much material needs to be remove to clear the larger gears. The part number is 57458-1. We also have a gasket 57929 with the clearances required for the larger gears. Many customers use the gasket as a guide. You can also order a Free Print Catalog with this link to see what our quality is all about.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts