Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
506 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
can zomeone clearify the main difference between 31 and 33 brsides the obvious spline coun
Thanks
Chris

·
Registered
3,570 Posts
That is about it... if your going to upgrade from 31... go 35 not 33! 33 is the bastard spline count.

·
Registered
506 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well here is my situation... I bought a dragster with 31 and wanted to buy new axles. I wasnt going to spend the money for a new spool for 33 if u wasnt gaining anything. I should just replace the 31s right? 35 I need a aftermarket housing right?
Thanks

·
Registered
506 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
maybe 700... Stock case, richmond gear, strange spool

·
Registered
570 Posts
Regardless of what you go with for axles, the weak-point is going to be the factory center section casing. I would go to an aftermarket Nodular or Aluminum Case, and if you have anything left over go with a set of 35 spline axles and a spool. Top priority should be a new case though.

·
Registered
506 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I will have to look into that.. Thanks

·
aka Nova Joe
2,891 Posts
Regardless of what you go with for axles, the weak-point is going to be the factory center section casing. I would go to an aftermarket Nodular or Aluminum Case, and if you have anything left over go with a set of 35 spline axles and a spool. Top priority should be a new case though.
x2 I broke 3 stock centers in an 11second car

·
Registered
506 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
No shit? I had a stock center in my nova and ran 12.0s never hurt anything, shit never even considered upgraded anything in the rear on that 9"

·
Registered
703 Posts
I pushed a stock C7AWE center into the mid 9's. I pulled the bearing support to fix an oil leak and found the pilot support was cracked. If it broke, it would spit the pinion out the side of the case.

I now use a Moser aluminum bolt through case but only use 31 spline Moser axles. With a powerglide, I'm not producing enough torque to the wheels to justify larger axles although I am pushing the limits of 31 spline. 33 spline for me is an acceptable upgrade unless I bought a 35 spline spool designed for the smaller case. If you use a 3 speed tranny then 35 would be a more preferable choice since the torque multiplication will be higher.

When I bought my axles, I painted a line down the length of both axles. I pull them every couple of years for inspection. The line and the splines are still straight and I've carried the front wheels past the 60' a few times.

I originally had Strange axles but didn't like them because the splines were larger than the axle. The Moser axle splines are the same size as the axle. Maybe Strange uses a different alloy to use a smaller axle but I feel better knowing I have larger axles.

·
FUCKING ASSHOLE SINCE '61
7,350 Posts
Axles with the same size spline are WEAKER than the ones with the larger spline.

The smaller axle versus spline allows the axle itself to absorb torsion.

Same size axles and splines are inherently weaker.

Physics that cannot be changed!!!

Your Pal, Gary

·
Registered
506 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
So what would you guys would say would be safe to put 31 spline to the ground, as far as horsepower. How much would you feel safe with when using 31 spline axles?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts