Yellow Bullet Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
The Godfather
4,994 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok not gonna try to make this too long but will try to get the point across..Nick jump in when you read this..

Couple weeks ago we pulled the pig out to change gears...found out it was a 4.11 street gear (28 spline pinion).Ring gear had non shouldered grade 8 bolts holding it in but bolts looked fine.

We changed to a 4.56 28 spline gear(no time to switch to pro gear)and set the back lash around .010.
Made 4 hits on the car and everthing seemed fine.Now we pulled the pig back out to go to a PRO GEAR so as i dont make junk of the rear and anything else.
When we pulled the thing apart we found it had NO backlash and the ring gear bolts were all galled up..not at the tips like cross threading but 4-5 threads up the bolt and not ALL the bolts .
We put new bolts in (smaller bolts will change to 1/2 ones) and upon running them in with a 3/8 rathchet some of the bolts started to get tight...removing them and found there were galling up already just trying to install them.
We set the spool on end and tryed to put a dial indicator on it and spin it as easy as possible..seemed to run out about .008.
Could it have bent the spool at the flange where the gear bolts??
Why would the .56 gall the bolts after 4 runs and the 4.11 had maybe 12 with no issues..
The 4.56 was a used gear BTW if it matters.
Another friend said thats normal and it will be fine...maybe im paranoid but i dont need gear locking up at 155+mph.I ve set up gears before and Nitrousnick did this one and hes done them before also...ive never seen this happen and were headed to Strange tomorrow to see what they say also..thanks in advance
Dennis

·
Habitual Linestepper
1,457 Posts
I repaired one for a friend that did the same thing, his ring gear was actually coming loose. His spool (moser i think) had two sets of bolt holes ,one larger and one smaller , he had put stock size ring gear bolts in the larger holes and the ring gear moved back and forth.
I used new stock size bolts and used the smaller holes in the spool when i set it up and so far no problems, could be what happened to yours, just a thought.

·
The Godfather
4,994 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I repaired one for a friend that did the same thing, his ring gear was actually coming loose. His spool (moser i think) had two sets of bolt holes ,one larger and one smaller , he had put stock size ring gear bolts in the larger holes and the ring gear moved back and forth.
I used new stock size bolts and used the smaller holes in the spool when i set it up and so far no problems, could be what happened to yours, just a thought.
Im almost 99% positive we used the smaller holes on the 4.56..were gonna try the larger bolts this time and see what happens..hate to buy a spool for no reason but hate to have something go wrong either, just wondering why the backlash would have tightened up?
Also the bolt holes show no walking back and forth and it wasnt all the bolts that did it...the new gear and bolts galled up upon trying to install the bolts..sorry for the mixed rambling im tired but conserned

·
Registered
75 Posts
it is possible that the 4.56 gears being used, someone may have had to long of bolts in it before and bottomed them out causing the thread damage before hand(when they dissassembled it). almost every install kit i have gotten for a 9'' has two different length bolts in it. not sure why the backlash would have gone away as long as the adjusters were tightened properly and the locks in place. did you check backlash in more than one spot?

·
The Godfather
4,994 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
it is possible that the 4.56 gears being used, someone may have had to long of bolts in it before and bottomed them out causing the thread damage before hand(when they dissassembled it). almost every install kit i have gotten for a 9'' has two different length bolts in it. not sure why the backlash would have gone away as long as the adjusters were tightened properly and the locks in place. did you check backlash in more than one spot?
The gear being installed now is brand new Motive gear..i took a good bolt and ran it into every hole and the threads were fine its the spool thats binding the bolts...

·
Registered
7,854 Posts
Last time I put a gear in my car I had to replace all the ring gear bolts. What happened was the ring gear moved around the spool slightly and when I went to remove the bolts it galled the threads as they came out thru the spool. Went back together fine though. Did you check backlash at 3 places around the gear? Maybe it was only tight in one place which would mean the spool was bent. Can't imagine that happening but....

Craig

·
Registered
2,796 Posts
If the bolt loosen up - they will gall. Seen it/fixed it a bunch of time in DANA rear ends - not so much in fords.

·
Registered
2,403 Posts
Im setting up my 9" now and when I tried to hand tighten them with a rachet a couple of them didnt want to tighten up ,so I removed them and oiled them and they hand tightened up good then I torqued them up Wonder if theirs something to these strange spools??? David.:confused:

·
Registered
277 Posts
Run Out

Through the years of setting up Ring and Pinions I was
always instructed to never exceed .003 of total run out.
This shall include the spool and ring gear combined. How the
run out got to that point needs some investigation. Ring gear
not seated properly, incorrect hardware, excessive ring gear
or spool run out are some basics to look into. Also ensure the
third member doesn't show any signs a fatigue at the mounting
caps for the carrier.

Greg

·
Registered
20,822 Posts
Dont put to much oil on those threads, I use locktight, but to much will not let the bolt tighten all the way down, there is nowhere for the oil to go, and it will hydro lock before it gets tight.

·
The Godfather
4,994 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well according to Strange when they heat treat the ring gear it distorts or moves the holes some..they say its normal..just run the bolts in with locktite and replace em when you change gears (from Strange).We installed it with the larger bolts this time and no binding or galling and the bolts threaded in fine.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts