Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I had a diff break on me (aftermarket, not sure what brand it was but evidently cheap lol). Most of the broken material stayed within the locker enclosure. Other than the internal diff parts breaking, the rest of the rear looks good....almost. The problem is on 3 of the pinion teeth they are chipped, each at the very extreme end of the teeth closest to the inner pinion bearing (not the nose bearing). Presumably some of the trash from the diff got wedged between the gear and the pinion housing on the tow back to the pits.

As far as the damage, it is no where near where the pattern of the gear mates with the ring gear.
I closely inspected the teeth in the areas where they mesh and I see no visible signs of damage otherwise. Was thinking about cleaning up the chipped areas with a stone and reusing.
3700lb slow street car. but stick shift. Factory ford 4.11:1 gear

·
Registered
14 Posts
My opinion is being a stick and that heavy I would go ahead and put a new set in it. If your just going to drive it and not do any higher rpm launches it's probably going to be ok.

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, good advise. I'm hoping someone chimes in with personal experience in the matter too. Either a horror story or meh...dont worry about it lol. Probably biggest concern I have is if it will start to delaminate since at least two of the chips are likely below the surface hardening.

·
Registered
2,368 Posts
Are you kidding me, reusing those gears. taking a chance with more damage or a wreck. Gears are not that much money .Don't want you or someone else hurt!!! DR.

·
Registered
16,472 Posts
I would consider reusing it. The gears are going to fail at the base of the patterns, it's hard to get anything down into that tight area in a way to damage the gear without it leaving obvious damage.

I would consider ditching the locker type differential though. I've had 2 fail and when they fail the car pulls terrible to one side.

·
Registered
16,388 Posts
The labour alone is not worth the re use of those gears. Just pulling everything all back apart, and the further damage you may incur? Hell no.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts