Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So when I put my center together it seems I got pretty lucky that everything was correct because I had no idea there were different pinions. I have a stock 9" center out of an old truck i got then found a street gear and install kit and put it all together and it has held up great.

I am looking to make my rear end stronger for peace of mind and future setups and i need to step the gear down so I am trying to figure out what to look for. Now I know when I gave my drive shaft guy my u joint dimensions he said right there is a weak link and there is a bigger joint I should upgrade to.

Does the big and small pinion have different center sections or just different bearings? My locker is a 31 spine and I am assuming I have the smaller pinion correct?

What pinion spline yoke and pinion support should I buy and when I do will the iron center be the new weak link? How do I identify

·
Registered
785 Posts
will the iron center be the new weak link?
If it doesn't have an "N" in the center yes it will be a weak link. When and where is the question. Also depends on what gear ratio your running.

Does the big and small pinion have different center sections or just different bearings?
Do you mean a stock support and a Daytona support? If so the inner bearing on the Daytona support is bigger. They fit all the case's. The stock case's have either a 3.062 or 2.891 side carrier bearings.

I know when I gave my drive shaft guy my u joint dimensions he said right there is a weak link and there is a bigger joint I should upgrade to.
1350 series joint.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
it is not nodular. So if I get the bigger pinion with the correct support it would bolt right in? can I run an alum center on the street? Is the carrier bearing just a matter of what gear ratio you have or is it depending on axle splines?

·
Registered
785 Posts
can I run an alum center on the street?
I guess you could but I wouldn't.

So if I get the bigger pinion with the correct support it would bolt right in
Yes. I've swapped from a stock style 1310 series joint to a 1350 series with no problem.

Is the carrier bearing just a matter of what gear ratio you have or is it depending on axle splines?
Not gear ratio, depends on what case you have. If you go with bigger splined axles and a bigger carrier then you will have to go to a 3.25 side carrier bearing case. The 2.891 and 3.062 fit both 28 and 31 spline axles. I don't know if you can go bigger haven't tried.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts