Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 138 Posts

·
Registered
34,729 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Senator Kirsten Gillibrand's amendment to the 9/11 VC bill is in the headlines today because Rand Paul blocked the Senate vote, citing the excessive cost. His reasoning is that 97% of the victims' families have already been compensated an average of $1.8 million each, and the new amendment would keep on paying them for the next 73 years, through 2092.

I have nothing but compassion for both the victims and families of those lost in the attacks. But I'll be honest - in my humble opinion, $1.8M apiece is more than fair. Can't put a price on a human life, but America's generosity - which is exactly what the bill is; no American OWES those families money - has made millionaires out of thousands of people. And Rand Paul is hollering "calfrope".

And the Bullet says?

·
Registered
34,729 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'M WITH PAUL...

I've often accused Paul of being a bleeding-heart peacenik but in this instance, he's right. But it'll pass, because it's political suicide to vote against it. "How could anyone possibly disrespect the families of the victims?" people will say. Well, America didn't. We made millionaires out of people who didn't know where their next house payment was coming from.

I'm glad we could help them. But enough is enough.

·
Registered
4,764 Posts
I have no issue with a cap on it. Now the issue i have is with the long term health problems some have had. They didn't ask for the issues,but they have been left with hospital bills and so on. I say unlimited money should be spent on that type of stuff.

·
Registered
22,007 Posts
Get fucking cancer and slowly rot away and die ( Luis Alvarez), lose your job for doing your job and lose your insurance and see which one of you change that tune. Cap my Ass, we lost a lot of 1st responders 11 from my former precinct to that Muslim fucking attack.At Minimum the families should get their full pension and benefits.

·
Señor Member
25,226 Posts
Senator Kirsten Gillibrand's amendment to the 9/11 VC bill is in the headlines today because Rand Paul blocked the Senate vote, citing the excessive cost. His reasoning is that 97% of the victims' families have already been compensated an average of $1.8 million each, and the new amendment would keep on paying them for the next 73 years, through 2092.

I have nothing but compassion for both the victims and families of those lost in the attacks. But I'll be honest - in my humble opinion, $1.8M apiece is more than fair. Can't put a price on a human life, but America's generosity - which is exactly what the bill is; no American OWES those families money - has made millionaires out of thousands of people. And Rand Paul is hollering "calfrope".

And the Bullet says?

Rev, you do know what the word "average" means...right?

·
Señor Member
25,226 Posts

·
Señor Member
25,226 Posts
In case some of you guys don't get it...it's not just about the people that died on 9/11.

According to an analysis last September, 17 years after the terrorist attacks, close to 10,000 first responders had been diagnosed with cancer, and over 2,000 deaths had been attributed to illnesses caused by the attacks. By the end of last year, it was estimated that more people had died from toxic exposure from 9/11 than were killed in the actual attack.

As former NYC Health Commissioner Dr. Thomas Farley pointed out during the 2012 battle to make funds from the James Zadroga Act available for cancer treatment, “Cancers take 20 years to develop … and we might see something different 20 years down the line.” (Ultimately, nearly 60 types of cancer were added to the list of illnesses eligible for coverage.) Other doctors who have worked with 9/11 survivors have said that they expect to see an increase in cancer in the coming years.

http://nymag.com/intelligencer/2019/06/how-lawmakers-protected-and-failed-9-11-first-responders.html

·
Señor Member
25,226 Posts
Never Forget...more people will die because of the lies of scumbags GW Bush and Giuliani...than ever died on 9/11.

·
Registered
2,119 Posts
Get fucking cancer and slowly rot away and die ( Luis Alvarez), lose your job for doing your job and lose your insurance and see which one of you change that tune. Cap my Ass, we lost a lot of 1st responders 11 from my former precinct to that Muslim fucking attack.At Minimum the families should get their full pension and benefits.
How much did Obama give to the muslims?

·
Registered
6,847 Posts

·
Registered
20,495 Posts
I'm all for compensation, but 91 years? I think 50 would be more than sufficient to cover everyone who 'responded'. Even those who hadn't joined FDNY yet. It's already been 18, so 32 more would be fine with me.

·
Registered
13,214 Posts
SPEND THE MONEY ON WEAPONS/INTELLIGENCE...TO PREVENT THIS FROM EVER HAPPENING AGAIN...BECAUSE WHAT IF IT DOES?......DO WE KEEP PAYING?...CAPLESS?
You do realize that exactly the opposite of this is being done by the current administration right? If not go look it up, just don’t waste your time trying to find anything about it on Fox News.

1 - 20 of 138 Posts