Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm putting together a brand new combination for my car. I've contacted 5 different torque converter manufacturers and I'm not sure what is best. Some recommend a 8in while others recommend a 9in and the recommend stall has been between 4600-5400. I'm confident I need about a 5000-5200 stall but I'm not sure if a 9in or 8in converter is best. What is the advantage of an 8in vs 9in converter?

I can go into more specifics if needed but the basics of my combination are as follows.
Naturally asperated 408LS
approx 675-700HP
7200RPM shift point
car weighs 3350 with driver
4.30 gear
th-350 trans

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the info. This car does see some street time so I wanted to be a little conservative on the stall speed. So is a 8in or 9in more effiecient on the big end?

·
Registered
2,858 Posts
Not sure I understand what your asking here? Do you want tp put an 8" converter in another application?

Define "stall size"?

Hutch
Sorry for the confusion.

My basic question is on what determines the correct stall speed, is it based off your combo more so or what you do with the car?

Long story short is I am getting ready to purchase one and trying to get a better understanding why this guy says 4500 9.5" then you have another guy say 4500 8" then you have one shop say 5000+ this or that size.

Basically trying to educate before I waste a bunch of companies time with a thousand questions. Doing a bunch of reading and questions askign online first.. lol

After you answer this an I hopefully understand soem things better I was looking at making a thread for some C4 stall feedback and companies to look into..

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
One thing I found when I was converter shopping is that some manufacturers call a 230mm converter 8in while some others call it a 9in. Then there is also the 9.5in converters too. I think the 230mm 8in converters are the way to go, almost everyone going fast is using them. The 9.5in converters are a little cheaper and good bang for the buck but 8in is the best in a race application in my opinion. There are a lot of different ways to build a converter and a lot of different choices depending on your budget. I went with an 8in from Circle D. You really can't go wrong with UCC, Circle D, FTI, Yank etc, they all build a good converter. Go with you you think is giving you the best converter for your application.

Sorry for the confusion.

My basic question is on what determines the correct stall speed, is it based off your combo more so or what you do with the car?

Long story short is I am getting ready to purchase one and trying to get a better understanding why this guy says 4500 9.5" then you have another guy say 4500 8" then you have one shop say 5000+ this or that size.

Basically trying to educate before I waste a bunch of companies time with a thousand questions. Doing a bunch of reading and questions askign online first.. lol

After you answer this an I hopefully understand soem things better I was looking at making a thread for some C4 stall feedback and companies to look into..

·
Super Moderator
19,412 Posts
Sorry for the confusion.

Of course I have my preferences also. I generally want to use a converter that will have an agressive pump side. Depending on HP/Torque that will happen in either an 8" , 9" , 9.5" etc.

Generally the 8" converter will be more money.

Hutch

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
If your going to miss on the stall...miss on the lose side. Has the engine been dyno'd? or is that a guess? The torque of the engine is the major deciding point.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts