Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Gold Member
6,003 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had two of these cars previously, an 87 turbo automatic, and an 89 turbo 5 speed (both hardtop). This is my first non turbo, as well as targa top supra. I only had the 87 for a short period of time before I sold it. I had my 89 for quite a while, but my ex wife..(wife at the time) was never really a fan of it. About 6 months prior to my deployment, I blew the engine and didn't have the time or money to mess with it. We moved, and the car sat in the garage while I was deployed.

Unfortunately, I had taken the hood off to work on the engine, and the water pipes froze and busted in the garage, spraying water down into the block and everywhere else. When I came back home, I was so frustrated about the water damage and the nagging, that I sold the car real cheap just to get it gone. I've regretted it ever since.

I recently just started browsing Craigslist for a project supra, the previous ones were already built and I really didn't have to do much to them, so I decided this time around that I wanted to put in some real work on the next supra I got my hands on. Every time I found one in my price range, it would sell. I found one in Texas, so I nabbed it up before it too sold.

Well, needless to say, this one is definitely a project. So I guess I got what I was looking for. This won't be a fast build at all, I currently don't have a great selection of tools, and don't have a large amount of money to throw at it.

I only plan to make this a fun street car for now. My plans for the car are:

Ls1/T-56 swap
Deep maroon paint job
Lower the suspension a bit
Upgrade brake system

Here are pics of the 89 turbo 5 speed I used to have.

https://postimage.org/

https://postimage.org/app.php

https://postimage.org/app.php

·
Gold Member
6,003 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm guessing some very inexperienced kid tried to do a pearly black paint job over the original white paint. He failed horrendously. Luckily, all the body trim came with the car, and the body is pretty straight with only some surface rust.

·
Gold Member
6,003 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I got the car home, put a charge on the battery that the guy I bought it from stated "was brand new", and tried to start it. The battery was not brand new and had a dead cell, so I put a brand new one in it and tried to start it. The factory alarm was going off, and disabled power to the fuel pump as well as the starter (or so I thought.) I bypassed the factory alarm system, and got the car to crank, but couldn't get it to start. (I know I said my plans are to ls swap it, but I wanted to get it to move under its own power until I get everything I need for the swap.)

I did some research, and saw that most mk3 owners were bypassing the fuel pump relay by adding in a different one altogether, so I figured I would give that a shot. Still had no power to the pump, so I went and bought a pump, and dropped the tank. I definitely wasn't expecting to find what I did upon draining the fuel tank, and dropping the tank.

The gas tank was completely full of 8-10 year old gas (now varnish) and the tank, along with all its components were a rusty disaster.

·
Gold Member
6,003 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
When I said budget build, I meant it. I'm starting a new job in a week where I should have plenty of money to start throwing at this thing, but for now..about $15, and a couple of YouTube videos later, I figured I would see if I can't make this fuel tank useable, and if not, I'll be out an extra $15 on top of the cost for an new tank and components. I went to the local pool supply company after watching some YouTube videos, and picked up a gallon of muriatic acid, and 4 pounds of baking soda. I watched a guy on YouTube clean out a nasty motorcycle fuel tank with muriatic acid, and it worked amazing. If it doesn't work, oh well.. If it does, well that will be cool.

The fuel tank filler neck cleaned up nicely after a short acid bath, which leaves me with some hope that this might work.

https://postimage.org/

·
Dicking bimbos at home
13,889 Posts
Not worth the heartache.

Here are interior fuel tank pics after a 2 hr bath in muriatic acid mixed with water 1/10 mix. Not too shabby, may try dumping a bunch of bb's and some sacrificial gas in there, and shake the shit out of it to try getting the rest out of there.

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
good start to a project car. I don't know if I would ever trust that tank. I would put a cartridge fuel filter in it so you can periodically check it

·
Gold Member
6,003 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
good start to a project car. I don't know if I would ever trust that tank. I would put a cartridge fuel filter in it so you can periodically check it
Thank you.

I won't trust it for long. The only reason I'm doing this is to get the car moveable under it's own power until I have most of what I need to do an ls swap. The non-turbo motors in these cars are crap, there aren't many mods that can be done to make it worth keeping.

·
Dicking bimbos at home
13,889 Posts
It is to me. I don't have a lot of extra money to just throw it away and buy new at the moment, if I can save what I have and make it usable for the time being, I will.
I know budget, trust me. Shitted up gas tan will bite yo in the ass.

·
Gold Member
6,003 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Got the tank damn near 100% rust free, bombed it with some diesel to prevent flash rust, risked with gas and got it all put back together. Got the 7mge that's in the car to fire up, but it was running rough, wouldn't idle for shit, and stumbled on acceleration. I was going to run it to get it to temp but coolant went everywhere and it started smoking like a train. Good thing I planned to door a motor swap! I'll probably start getting everything ready so I can pull that Japanese pile of shit out.

·
Registered
3,676 Posts
Literally took these pictures today. This is my friends 86 non turbo that they dropped a lexus v8 in. Dual 3" exhaust that sounds awesome and my understanding is, these engines are dead reliable at 9000 rpm.

·
Gold Member
6,003 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
That's badass! I've been looking into a 1uz-fe swap, but I don't like the looks of dual exhaust on these cars. I think I would run all the exhaust into just one jap fart can to make it stock appearing. Next time you get the chance, could you ask him what trans he has behind it, and the approximate cost of his swap?

·
Registered
3,676 Posts
It's a pretty cool car, the interior isn't worn at all. No rips or tears on the cloth interior but it's sun faded. I'm thinking it could be dyed back and you'd be hard pressed to tell it wasn't a low mileage car.
I don't know very much about those 1JZ engines but I've been working on a 95 Lexus SC300 that came with a V8 but it's been swapped to an inline 6. I believe it's a 1JZ bottom end and 2JZ top end, or maybe it's the other way around. Guess they're shooting for around 500whp with the Borg 366. I hope to fire it up early next week when I finish the fuel system and harness swaps.

·
Registered
3,676 Posts
That's badass! I've been looking into a 1uz-fe swap, but I don't like the looks of dual exhaust on these cars. I think I would run all the exhaust into just one jap fart can to make it stock appearing. Next time you get the chance, could you ask him what trans he has behind it, and the approximate cost of his swap?
Sure thing, I do know it's a manual. The guy who did the swap does a whole lot of work on supras, from stock stuff to full on race cars.

·
Gold Member
6,003 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
It's a pretty cool car, the interior isn't worn at all. No rips or tears on the cloth interior but it's sun faded. I'm thinking it could be dyed back and you'd be hard pressed to tell it wasn't a low mileage car.
I don't know very much about those 1JZ engines but I've been working on a 95 Lexus SC300 that came with a V8 but it's been swapped to an inline 6. I believe it's a 1JZ bottom end and 2JZ top end, or maybe it's the other way around. Guess they're shooting for around 500whp with the Borg 366. I hope to fire it up early next week when I finish the fuel system and harness swaps.
Ah, sounds like the 1.5 jz. Real quick revving engine. I thought about it, but I like the idea of the 1UZ-FE with a supercharger.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts