Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
506 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok I have a problem with my glide and 8" coverter that is supposed to stall at 6500 and only flashes to 3800 while on the brake. This is in a rear engine dragster and a sbf NA making 800hp dragster 60' 1.38 on maiden voyage and thought my 2 step lanch was set real low on my msd so changed to higher and on second pass same thing set trans brake put to the wood and it loaded the engine before it went on the 2 step another 1.38 60' and WTF. Went home with tale tucked tighly between legs and tested converter on stands and made sure it wasn't on the 2 step and yes my converter isn't stalling and I need ideas and help missed my race today and weather is disappearing for this year

·
Registered
506 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Stator tube is fine and seems firmly planted to pump. Pulled trans to confirm this and removed pump and dis assemled pump sending converter to TCI tomorrow

·
Super Moderator
19,423 Posts
I would not expect the converter to be that far out of whack but its possible. Are you sure the motor is making what you think? After the car finally got going , what did it run and what did it fall back to (rpm) on the gear change?

Hutch

·
Registered
506 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Converter was ordered by engine builder after engine was removed from dyno and dyno sheet was shown to converter company. After the engine was loaded hard on line it ended up running a 8.90 1/4 but was behind the whole way on rpm

·
Registered
506 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Bad sprag? Any way to tell by looking at or inspecting converter? I have a nice plasma cutter can't hurt it anymore POS converter

·
Registered
44 Posts
Curious to have you keep us updated as to your findings....

I've got a 9" FTI that was supposed to stall at 5K behind a 600hp SBF. Couldn't get past 3200 or so on the brake. Sent it back and it would go to 3800 if I was lucky... 60 ft. times were dismal, felt like you were launching in second gear - almost like the brakes were on! I figured two swings at it were enough - It's not my definition of enjoyment swaping converters and doing the UPS thing, so I just installed an 8" PTC at the recommendation of a dozen or so locals who love theirs.

I haven't been to the track yet, but the car is an animal. Seems to like 4800RPM on the 2-step and hits really hard (in "informal" testing). I didn't even feel the need to do a hard stall, but it seems to be stalling around 5500 or so.

I am thinking about having the first converter cut apart and checked by another company. I could try to sell it as it was advertised, but would hate to have someone else buy into my problem.

·
Registered
506 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
If it is the converter which is what it is pointing to do I want the same douche to build the replcement while I'm burning up diesel going to the track to burn up some more money, still in testing phase of car but tranny issues suck

·
Registered
506 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I would not expect the converter to be that far out of whack but its possible. Are you sure the motor is making what you think? After the car finally got going , what did it run and what did it fall back to (rpm) on the gear change?

Hutch
Not sure what it fell to on gear change but had to be 7500 yo make gear change and it did that if that helps

·
Registered
506 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yes car lugged for first 100-200 feet then caught up on rpm and ran good rest of way but was way behind and probably went through traps way low on rpm. Car mph at quarter was 153 lifting a bit early to test brakes power but motor pulls good just is late to the party

·
Super Moderator
19,423 Posts
If it didn't lay right down on the gearchange , its pointing towards a tune problem more than a converter problem. It may very well be a converter issue but I have been down this road many times where the motor has problems somewhere in its rpm range making the converter look wrong.

Hutch

·
Registered
506 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
If it didn't lay right down on the gearchange , its pointing towards a tune problem more than a converter problem. It may very well be a converter issue but I have been down this road many times where the motor has problems somewhere in its rpm range making the converter look wrong.

Hutch
Yes you could be right Hutch on the tune issue but engine goes through rpm range decently when it breaks free and the way it is loaded on the line takes a bit for the engine to recover, was just dyno last week and is all new fresh stuff. When I initially put car together I wiped out the pump bushing due to pilot engagement not long enough so had input to crank misalingment. Never made a pass just out of the garage and back in. After figuring out alignment problems put together and made 2 passes never made it to the two step

·
Registered
506 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Converter is on the way back to builder, what kind of ignition checks or else should I do while waiting.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts