Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
This is not a thread to convince me to run 31 or larger spline axles.

This is a thread to find out what people are doing with 28-spline axles in an 8.8, and how they're doing it. Low horsepower, big power? Transbrake, footbrake? Tightened posi, welded diff, or mini-spool? Typical 60ft and et's you get from it?

Let us know. Thanks.

·
Registered
529 Posts
If you shock them real hard like a sticky tire clutch dump/transbrake launch with more that 300 hp it's gonna let go. Roll into the power and don't shock them and they will last for a little while ...if the stock diff doesn't go first.

·
Registered
1,683 Posts
I've been upper 6's with stock axles. Automatic, foot brake car. Mid 1.5 60'.

The axles weren't what failed on mine. It was the cross pin and spider gears. It stayed together through the pass but locked up on the return road. The broken cross pin caused the differential to break the cap, so I had to get another housing (didn't trust that one).

Replaced it with new housing, spool, and 35 spline axles.

·
Registered
914 Posts
Ran mid to high 10s. 1.5 60' at about 3400 lbs on stock GM 28 spline. Assumed I was pushing my luck.

Can say I had buddies running low to mid 9s. 1.3xx 60' on stock 28 spline axles. Probably closer to 3100 lbs turbo ls. Would get a few track days before the 7.5" 10 bolt ring gear would get pissed or snap an axle. Usually ring gear would go first, but 10 bolts were almost free.

Only problem is there's a good chance it takes out the trans when you break an axle, that and the engine is on the rev limiter.

·
Registered
421 Posts
I've been upper 6's with stock axles. Automatic, foot brake car. Mid 1.5 60'.

The axles weren't what failed on mine. It was the cross pin and spider gears. It stayed together through the pass but locked up on the return road. The broken cross pin caused the differential to break the cap, so I had to get another housing (didn't trust that one).

Replaced it with new housing, spool, and 35 spline axles.
Same exact thing happened to us. But we were probably running 12s maybe high 11s in the 1/4 at 4300lbs back then.

Now have a detroit locker with 31 splines and 1.4x 60s at 4200lbs.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts