Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Fixin to put a set of Ford motorsport 3.73's in. With the spray I'll be pushing about 1100 hp.
Think the motorsport gears will hold it??

·
Gas Passer
4,911 Posts
Chris Tuten has been over 200 mph with an 8.8; not sure which gears he uses but I am sure the FMS will hold up to 1100. James

·
Gas Passer
4,911 Posts
Looking to push a good bit more than that through mine as well. James

·
Bracket racer
13,292 Posts
Speaking of 8.8s....what kind of abuse can a set of stock 28 spline axles take? 5 lug Ranger rear end if it matters.

·
Medium Pimpin!
8,852 Posts
Speaking of 8.8s....what kind of abuse can a set of stock 28 spline axles take? 5 lug Ranger rear end if it matters.
With a automatic ive seen them go high 9s with no transbrake, with a 5 speed and slicks, dumping it at 5k can break them. I dont reccomend trying it because when the wheel flys off it seriously screws up your 1/4.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'm not worried about the housing, just the gear set.

·
Tellin' it like it is
9,748 Posts
We ran 5.20s in the 1/8th for years on that same gear in a 3200 pound drag radial car. We have FRPP 4.10s in it now running 4.90s and 5.0s.

·
Bracket racer
13,292 Posts
With a automatic ive seen them go high 9s with no transbrake, with a 5 speed and slicks, dumping it at 5k can break them. I dont reccomend trying it because when the wheel flys off it seriously screws up your 1/4.
Good to know, thanks!

·
TRZ Rocks!
3,737 Posts
they live just fine, but brace the housing, housing flex is what breaks the gears

·
6,384 Posts
they live just fine, but brace the housing, housing flex is what breaks the gears
X2

8.8 in mine several 1.1X 60's at 3300 lbs. IMO the Motorsport and Factory Ford (used Explorer etc..) are the best quality and from my experience are more forgiving if the pinion depth/ back lash isn't dead on.

·
Registered
6,266 Posts
Bracket raced with a 5spd with 5k launches for 3yrs. Then went automatic and went 1.48 60ft with the same axles. Now lemme tell ya i think i was lucky but when i pulled em outthey were twisted like crazy.

·
Registered
2,858 Posts
X2

8.8 in mine several 1.1X 60's at 3300 lbs. IMO the Motorsport and Factory Ford (used Explorer etc..) are the best quality and from my experience are more forgiving if the pinion depth/ back lash isn't dead on.
I have a couple buddies that are Ford Techs and they tell everyone to use Ford Motor Sports gears over anyone elses because of set up..

Also like mentioning it is bracing that is needed to keep the gears alive, but then you get to the point is if 50 pounds of bracing worth it.

·
Car ramrod
10,130 Posts
Automatic with no transbrake they can last. In a 5 speed car on slicks all it takes is one 5000 rpm launch to snap an axle

1 - 20 of 45 Posts