Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
584 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
About to have a 8.50 spec cage put in my truck. I want it to be certified. What are the specs its going to take? I know it has to go to the frame. Its a stock body; stock firewall.

Do I have to have a dash bar? Do I have to have a window net? What is the rule on the height of the door bars?

Any tips or suggestions? I plan to have it to the frame with some standoffs. Then have the cage plated to the cab floor everywhere it passes through.

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
I've done almost all of the same as what you're planning. If it has a stock floor and and firewall, the rocker sill bar/dash bar isn't required, but would still be a good idea. I started out with a roll bar, and added the cage later. It would have been easier to fabricate/weld the outriggers if it had all been done at the same time.
A window net is required. The diagonal door bar must pass between your shoulder/elbow.

·
Registered
703 Posts
Since the floor and firewall have not been modified, it takes very little to get an 8.50 certification.

A basic roll cage. Main hoop, halo bar, A-pillar tubes, 2 rear tubes, 2 door bars. I'm not sure if the diagonals under the main hoop are required but it doesn't hurt to put them in. The door bar must pass between the shoulder and the elbow.

All the other tubes are extra. You don't "need" to put them in for a certification, but they all serve a purpose. Mild steel tubing is fine to use.

Any sanctioning body rulebook shows the basic requirements for a roll bar or cage. Easiest way it to buy a kit. With minimum tubing thickness of .118" wall, .120" DOM tubing will work but costs a lot more. Using EWS tubing, the tolerances are not as exact and you need to use .134" wall to ensure a minimum thickness stays above the .118 minimum requirement.

·
Registered
5,618 Posts
Since the floor and firewall have not been modified, it takes very little to get an 8.50 certification.

A basic roll cage. Main hoop, halo bar, A-pillar tubes, 2 rear tubes, 2 door bars. I'm not sure if the diagonals under the main hoop are required but it doesn't hurt to put them in. The door bar must pass between the shoulder and the elbow.

All the other tubes are extra. You don't "need" to put them in for a certification, but they all serve a purpose. Mild steel tubing is fine to use.

Any sanctioning body rulebook shows the basic requirements for a roll bar or cage. Easiest way it to buy a kit. With minimum tubing thickness of .118" wall, .120" DOM tubing will work but costs a lot more. Using EWS tubing, the tolerances are not as exact and you need to use .134" wall to ensure a minimum thickness stays above the .118 minimum requirement.
The diagonal bars under the main hoop are mandatory,if its a unibody they must land on the frame connectors,if full frame they can land on a 6x6 plate. But an NHRA rule book or go on there website its all there. Goodluck with the build.

·
Registered
584 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
On the door bars; after the pass through between the shoulder and elbow can they take a good bend downward to make it easier to get in out? Its a full size truck so straight would make it hard getting in and out.

Also do they have to connect to the A pillar bar?

·
Senior Moment
1,813 Posts
Does an 8.50 cage go through the firewall?

·
Registered
316 Posts
The diagonal bars under the main hoop are mandatory,if its a unibody they must land on the frame connectors,if full frame they can land on a 6x6 plate. But an NHRA rule book or go on there website its all there. Goodluck with the build.
Maybe a little misunderstanding on this point, the Diagonal or "D" bars are only required when the main hoop is welded to 6 X 6 plates on the floor / sill. If the main hoop is welded to the frame (which most pickups have a frame) the "D" bar would be optional.

·
7.86 @ 8800DA 3365lb 275s
4,502 Posts
actually if your refeering to the "D" bars they are only required "when the main hoop is welded to plates on the floor and/or rocker/sill in lieu of frame" thus are only required on unibody cars. and can be attached to the subframe, subframe connectors or OEM driveshaft tunnel.

damn it, treed....lol

·
Senior Moment
1,813 Posts
not as a requirement no. only the cage area is part of it nothing forward of the firewall
Found out I need a 12 point for mine.
So if I go through the firewall & a 12 point cage what is that good up to?

·
Senior Moment
1,813 Posts
8.50. you NEED a 12 point? not sure what you mean
OK, I don't NEED a 12 point but I would like to stiffen up the front of my junk. If I ever spray, it will see 8.50 easy.
Plus I like overkill...;)
I want to be as safe as possible in this car.

·
7.86 @ 8800DA 3365lb 275s
4,502 Posts
OK, I don't NEED a 12 point but I would like to stiffen up the front of my junk. If I ever spray, it will see 8.50 easy.
Plus I like overkill...;)
I want to be as safe as possible in this car.
ok, i thought someone told you you had to have a 12 point.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts